Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

nitrous install complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous install complete

After 2 weeks of agervation (burned up my purge and lost a jet) I finally finished installing the nx stage 1 kit and tested it today with 100 shot and wow I do think Im getting some what some refer to as detonation. It sounds like a crackling noise kinda like rice krispies under my hood when Im WOT with nitrous. Is that detonation and if so I have a vhp tuner and I can only knock out timing in increments of 10 degrees will that be too much timing to take out?
Old 11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
After 2 weeks of agervation (burned up my purge and lost a jet) I finally finished installing the nx stage 1 kit and tested it today with 100 shot and wow I do think Im getting some what some refer to as detonation. It sounds like a crackling noise kinda like rice krispies under my hood when Im WOT with nitrous. Is that detonation and if so I have a vhp tuner and I can only knock out timing in increments of 10 degrees will that be too much timing to take out?
did you swap the plugs to a colder set such as NGK TR6's?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Im using denso iridiums IT16 which i think is stock specs. I tried changing my timing with the tuner but I think it didnt take. The option for timing set comes up first then the choices for performance level comes up a few choices after that. I think when I select highperformance it disregards my timing retard of 10 degrees Ill have to call vhp and ask.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Is it a wet or a dry kit?? You need to get some colder plugs and at least borrow a scan tool until you get your tune worked out. Detonation will quickly put you in the market for some new pistons...... maybe even a new motor.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

put in the colder plugs before your next WOT...on an NX system, take 3 deg per 100 shot on the timing...you can also give it a SMALL amount of extra fuel...but dont continue to WOT with detonation
Old 11-29-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Is it a wet or a dry kit?? You need to get some colder plugs and at least borrow a scan tool until you get your tune worked out. Detonation will quickly put you in the market for some new pistons...... maybe even a new motor.
Its a wet kit so I will wait untill I can get it tuned right and ill drop the spark plugs if need be...damn things were 13 bucks a piece.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
Im using denso iridiums IT16 which i think is stock specs. I tried changing my timing with the tuner but I think it didnt take. The option for timing set comes up first then the choices for performance level comes up a few choices after that. I think when I select highperformance it disregards my timing retard of 10 degrees Ill have to call vhp and ask.
it's 10% not 10 degrees. and no it does not disregard the -10% you would select with the hiperf/stock cam selection. once you select your choices, it sets the program to what you want to do. why do you think it did not take? you have my number. give me a call. robert.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrr23
it's 10% not 10 degrees. and no it does not disregard the -10% you would select with the hiperf/stock cam selection. once you select your choices, it sets the program to what you want to do. why do you think it did not take? you have my number. give me a call. robert.
I dont know if it took or not Im still getting that crackling noise at WOT after I reprogrammed ill give you a call im probably not doing it right im new at this.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

and if you are going to run nos you need to get rid of the iridium plugs and put in some reg plugs such as some TR6's. or tr55's. but the tr6's will work the best.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:45 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

That crackling/rice krispies noise is detonation. Change your plugs to TR6's if you haven't already and take the timing down a bit and/or put in higher octane gas. You can also jet the nitrous rich.

Quick Reply: nitrous install complete