Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

nitrous questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question nitrous questions

You would think I would know the answer to these buy now, considering I had a NX kit on a previous truck, but anyhow.....

Do I need to have a fuel pressure guage to be able to set a fuel pressure safety switch, or do some of them come at a preset pressure cut-off? Would there be a safe way to set it w/o a guage, and at what pressure do I need it to cut off if only running a 50 or 75 shot?

If the fuel guage is neccessary, what would be the correct manifold guages and connectors to run a fpss as well as the guage coming off the schrader (sp) valve?

Can I use a window switch to not only start spraying at 3k (I have a 3k stall), but to cut off right before the shift(s) ? Say my truck shifts at 5600, can I cut it off at 5400 or 5500 so that the tranny doesn't see the extra power/wear? I know this is not practical but I want to keep my tranny happy until its rebuild time.

And this is kind of a vague question, but would it be possible to wire up this setup : basic NX wet kit with - remote bottle opener, remote bottle pressure guage, tps WOT switch (voltage switch), msd or similar window switch and possibly a purge ? I know it would be a maze of wiring, but would it be possible w/o any extra relays and such?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2003, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

I thought about the window switch question, and I guess it wouldn't work b/c it would cut off at 5500, but then right when it dropped back down during the shift it would start spraying again..........anyone know how I could set it up so it wouldn't spray during the shifts? or am I thinking of it the wrong way..........maybe it wouldn't spray during the shifts.......I'm not that familiar w/window switches...
Old 11-17-2003, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Just spray it through your shifts...you don't need a window switch. I never used when when I was on the bottle in my old car. Fuel pressure cut off switches are usually preset from what I've seen.

Get you a bottle warmer too.

The wiring isn't that bad, just have a relay setup for the warmer and opener
Old 11-17-2003, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, forgot to add bottle warmer

I guess 50 or 75 shot wont hurt the trans during the shifts, but if I ever go above that, I'd start to worry about the trans
Old 11-18-2003, 04:11 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Just spray it through your shifts...you don't need a window switch. I never used when when I was on the bottle in my old car. Fuel pressure cut off switches are usually preset from what I've seen.

Get you a bottle warmer too.

The wiring isn't that bad, just have a relay setup for the warmer and opener
So you don't need a window switch? That means it will spray through the shifts right? If I don't want that, then I just get the window switch?

Basically what I want is a 100 dry shot that I can turn on with the flip of a button. When I WOT it from a stop it won't come on until 3000 RPMs and turn off when it shifts and then come right back on.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Chingon, thats exactly what i want it to do....but I'm not sure a window switch would work, unless it was set real low like 5200 or so for cutoff, because it seems that with how quick the shift is, it wouldn't have time to cutoff during the whole shift, it would cutoff at 5400 , if thats where you set it, and then it shifts so quick that it would probably drop down below that and spray during the end of the shift. I could be wrong, but I dont know much about window switches. Maybe if it was set lower it would work.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chingon
So you don't need a window switch? That means it will spray through the shifts right? If I don't want that, then I just get the window switch?

Basically what I want is a 100 dry shot that I can turn on with the flip of a button. When I WOT it from a stop it won't come on until 3000 RPMs and turn off when it shifts and then come right back on.

You don't really need one. The ones I've seen from MSD go on at 3000 and off at 6000. So if you shift at 5700 you'll still be spraying through the shifts. I think spraying, then switching off for a shift, then back on would feel pretty weird. Almost like it's bucking. Or TqMgt kicking in on a 2-3 shift. Something to that extent.

Here's another I.E. ----> Having a turbocharged car with a manual trans, unless you powershift you will lose boost between shifts and slow you down. That's similar to what I gonna happen having the nitrous come on and off. I've never used a Window Switch with nitrous so all what I described is hypothetical...but makes perfect sense to me.

You'll have a switch that arms the system. Then a WOT microswitch and the window switch if you need one.

Either way on this, I wouldn't get a power adder until you got a tune (espically to limit the TqMgt), some stall, and enough saved up to rebuild the trans just in case. I just don't think it is going to be what you are expecting on a stock vehicle.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Well I got the predator to take out some TM, richen it up and retard timing if needed, a 3k stall, and full exhaust, and I'm only really talking about a 50 shot, maybe 75 - about the money to rebuild the trans......thats the reason for asking about the window switch and cuting off at the shifts - seems like if it didnt spray during shifts, the tranny wouldn't see any extra wear - but if theres no way to get around it, then I guess if people are getting away with 12's and some even 11's on the stock 4l60e then I may be worried about a 50-75 shot for nothing
Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Banned

i never used a window switch with my first NX kit and sprayed through the shifts it ran great, no torque managment fall off, pulled hard as hell through shifts....only draw back was that it burned up my transmission, and my stock converter is now trashed.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

See to set this up you are gonna have to run 93 pump with low octane timing so you don't detonate. You can buy a $300 box that will pull timing only when on the bottle. I believe Ram Charger makes it. That will allow full timing on the motor and retarded timing on the bottle. MSD makes one similar called the "Digital Multi Retard".

I'd see burning clutches when in gear as opposed to the shifts...that or breaking that sungear reaction shell. If you spray off the 3000 stall I'd go 1-2 then 2-3. The 1-2 shift is forward clutches to band. The 2-3 is from band to 3-4 clutch pack.

Just don't power break or do any burnouts in your truck. I think the 75shot is about as far as I'd push my luck. Just don't go around spraying all over and you should be fine for a while.

Also invest in a transcooler if you don't have one. Maybe a 4x4 pan as it holds another qt of ATF. Do you have a TransGo or a billet servo?

Originally Posted by O3GMC
Well I got the predator to take out some TM, richen it up and retard timing if needed, a 3k stall, and full exhaust, and I'm only really talking about a 50 shot, maybe 75 - about the money to rebuild the trans......thats the reason for asking about the window switch and cuting off at the shifts - seems like if it didnt spray during shifts, the tranny wouldn't see any extra wear - but if theres no way to get around it, then I guess if people are getting away with 12's and some even 11's on the stock 4l60e then I may be worried about a 50-75 shot for nothing

Quick Reply: nitrous questions