Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

No muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No muffler?

i have the 4.8 in my truck. ive heard of people running cut outs and the truck running good. so how would my truck be no performance upgrades but intake. if i cut off my muffler? and just turn it down?

What do yall think?

gna be super loud or ok. gna be loss of power or better?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

its going to suck when your just driving around. it will suck at take off from stop lights and such
Old 09-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Launching!

as in how loud it is?

i have a z28 with slp loud mouth and what not and it doesnt seem very loud anymore. wondering if no muffler on this truck would be much worse i guess i could always go and have a muffler installed if its to loud.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

my 5.3 wasnt that loud when i took my muf off... if you have stock size piping it shouldnt be toooooo loud. but i would still watch for cops when your taking off from a stop.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was running stock size pipe.....(with a cat) and all the way back to muffle tips.....sounded good after a few year the pipes started to rust and the muffler tips started to rust!!! eventuly everything rusted off from the rear axel back so the only thing for exhaust was manifolds...cats and pipes back to the axel.....wasnt loud at all...thanks to the cats.....
Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wil be OK if you just cut out the muffler and replace it with a piece of pipe.

IMO with only 4 feet of stright pipe it will be plenty loud and low end will suck.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Launching!

sounds good il give it a whirl and if it isnt good enough il get a muffler..

think takin the muffler off a truck thats got 300 miles would be a problem? should i wait a couple hundre or 1k more to do that?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

i ran straight pipe for years.wasn't the best sound,but it was loud and thats all that mattered. defenitely better than stock. hooray for fart cannons!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Teching In

i wanted to see what mine sounded like with no muffler so i just unbolted it at the flange. sounded pretty decent. bolted it back up tho because at idle it would rattle everything in the cab, especially the loose change in the ashtray. that got annoying.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ran around last night with my flange opened up and I had a headache after about four hours of straight driving. I started getting nervous when the cops started coming out in force, so I bolted it back on. It's a bit loud from the flange, but I don't know how it'd sound actually going through the piping to the back. I'd at LEAST get a bullet or a glasspack Thrush or something, just to take a bit of the resonance off. Other than that it sounds WICKED....like a very unrefined LS1.

Quick Reply: No muffler?