Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

No Power?? Sorry this is a little long

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Is it possible that the fuel volume can't keep up with the increased airflow...maybe a bigger fuel pump is in order? just throwin an idea out there...
Thanks for the input! I really do appreciate any ideas you guys can come up with.
Unfortunately I have already added an inline walbro and 43lb injectors. Getting enough fuel there is not a problem.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Is it possible that the 6.0 is too big for the Whipple? I know on my buddy's SS the Radix is pretty close to its limits with the smaller pulley. His seems like it makes more heat than boost.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

hey buddy what about that cam gear that yo0u mentioned to V8(keavan). did you ever get that taken care of. if i remember that correctky they hogged out the hole to move the timing.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMChasLS1
Is it possible that the 6.0 is too big for the Whipple? I know on my buddy's SS the Radix is pretty close to its limits with the smaller pulley. His seems like it makes more heat than boost.
That is something I had not considered. I'll see what I can find out from whipple on that. When Allen is tuning he constantly says things like..."Man that moving alot of air"

He has also suggested that we move the Intake Temp Sensor to the boosted side of the whipple so we can find out what the IAT's are.

I wish I could show you guys the dyno chart. It really has a strange shape to it.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
hey buddy what about that cam gear that yo0u mentioned to V8(keavan). did you ever get that taken care of. if i remember that correctky they hogged out the hole to move the timing.
You have a great memory and are correct. I suspected that was the issue and the cam was not degreed correctly. I put a new cam sprocket on it and lined up the dots and got the exact same results.

I think I'm going to replace the coils next. It has been pointed out that OBDII wouldn't recognize a failing coil.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

hey on the coils. does it feel like it sits down on power at any time in the power range and then picks back up? that is what mine did. it had a very noticablew flat spot in the rpm's from 4800 to 5400 rpm;s and then would go past it and run ok?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
hey on the coils. does it feel like it sits down on power at any time in the power range and then picks back up? that is what mine did. it had a very noticablew flat spot in the rpm's from 4800 to 5400 rpm;s and then would go past it and run ok?
Mine is a little different. The HP curve is nice a steady until 5K when it turns a little down. The TQ curve starts out flat jumps 40ft/lbs @ 3600 only to drop right back down where it started and also start a rapid decline around 5K.

The TQ curve looks like a little hill on a flat plane until it drops off.

I can definetly feel the loss of power after 5k.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Your whipple is NOT running out of air, A whipple much like my kenne bell will provide plenty of airflow for your engine. A radix is not the same compressor as the whipple and Kenne Bell.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

When I had my stock 6.0 and Whipple we found somthing very strange on the dyno. The HP would nosedive around 5500, I mean it would go straight down and show 120hp loss. I still had the Whipple electronic bypass plugged in even though i had upgraded to 42 pound injectors. The bypass was opening at a little over 5k dropping boost. I have since unplugged the bypass and capped off the vacumn line to it. This could be what is happening to you up top if you still have it hooked up.
I made 442rwhp/468rwtq with a stock 6.0 at 10psi boost. Had the usual bolt ons and exhaust too.
How much boost are you running?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ranwalk
When I had my stock 6.0 and Whipple we found somthing very strange on the dyno. The HP would nosedive around 5500, I mean it would go straight down and show 120hp loss. I still had the Whipple electronic bypass plugged in even though i had upgraded to 42 pound injectors. The bypass was opening at a little over 5k dropping boost. I have since unplugged the bypass and capped off the vacumn line to it. This could be what is happening to you up top if you still have it hooked up.
I made 442rwhp/468rwtq with a stock 6.0 at 10psi boost. Had the usual bolt ons and exhaust too.
How much boost are you running?
I'm running around 6psi. My boost gauge is holds stead all the way thru the entire rpm range. The sorry part is my Max TQ is 385ish and max HP is 350ish. The 385 max TQ is on the bubble in the middle of the TQ curve. It starts around 350ish.

I don't have any of the whipple electronics on, and have the mechanical bypass valve. It could be creeping open, but I am still getting the boost at the manifold.

I heard that if you disconnect the bypass it would generate alot of heat when cruising where there is a manifold vacuum.

Quick Reply: No Power?? Sorry this is a little long