Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

non coated headers in canadian winter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non coated headers in canadian winter?

Hey guys im geting ready to pull the trigger on headers and ORY. Gunna go with pacesetter LT's, but i gota a few questions.

I understand the rear 02 sensores not being used and im BB tuning them out, but do i need extensions for the front 02's being that the LT's are further away than the stock manifolds? or do they come with the extension?

Other thing is i live in Canada, i have seen some ceramic coated ones that rusted badly form the salt and crap, so should i save the money and just the the non coated ones and use some VHT high temp paint on them? If i paint them i could always take them off every so often, bead blast the old paint and paint them again. Taken that it's washed once a week and under carriage rinsed.

Thanks guys!
Aaron
Old 05-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just answered your own ??? Save up and get some nice stainless headers..Why waste your money on ones that will be trash in a year or so... Paints don't work and burns off withing a hours.. I don't give a **** what the company says. Do your self a favor and save up and get NICE stainless ones... Stainless is like diamonds FOREVER
Old 05-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Launching!

I just picked up some LPP headers which are stainless there about the same price as pacesetters aswell. Id go the same rout if I were you. Just my opinion tho.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Ceramic coating is best. I had Gibson "stainless" headers once. They rusted within 6 months. Junk! Stainless exhaust parts are never 100% stainless steel. My JBA ceramic coated headers still look like new after 4 years......in the northern climate too. Get ceramic or nothing.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

alright well looking moer into i think i may end up with the LPP's. Anyone know how they are holding up to winters? What about fitment issues?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Launching!

I don't know how there holding up I think there too new, or at least until recently I haven't heard of anyone running them. You can read this thread about fitment but its only one account and may not speak about everyone's encounter. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=440566
Old 05-09-2009, 11:40 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even good stainless(uncoated) will discolour, but not rot. I just snapped a couple of shots of the Stainless Works headers I was running on my 5.3. This is after 3 Winnipeg winters. Plenty of salt used here. Second shot was after 60 seconds with a wire wheel so I guess they will clean up pretty easy.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn def must have some hard winters up there.. Salt is the biggest enemy for sure.. Coated headers would be dead in a winter then...
Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these are coated pacesetters after two Boston winters.

get stainless headers.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

stainless gets the look of a brownish rust but it is just discolored, not rust as the previous pictures show. Go stainless 304 if possible.

Quick Reply: non coated headers in canadian winter?