Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

non coated headers in canadian winter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The SW's above are 304. I'll be selling them along with the ORY. Just haven't got around to it.

Can't believe the Boston rust considering that you don't have snow on the ground for 6 months of the year like we do. But then again with the warmer temps they probably only use straight salt down there. Up here the blend of salt to sand varies with the temp. No point spreading salt at -30*

You won't need any extensions for the O2 sensors.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap i thought mine were rusted... kevinf56s look horrible.. mine just have surface rust... no salt here though... i want to get mine re coated...
Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrX
Even good stainless(uncoated) will discolour, but not rot. I just snapped a couple of shots of the Stainless Works headers I was running on my 5.3. This is after 3 Winnipeg winters. Plenty of salt used here. Second shot was after 60 seconds with a wire wheel so I guess they will clean up pretty easy.

Junk.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S/C Z71
Junk.
dude... before calling a part that many people seem to be proud of on their vehicle "junk", maybe you should take an unbiased opinion, go over the thread again... I don't know, but judging by the two pics, I'd say that the ceramic coated headers are way more on the junk side than the stainless LPP's.

I for one haven't even installed mine, but from I've read from reviews and comments, people seem to be oretty proud and impressed for the price they paid.

I was at some point considering ceramic coating my LPP's before installing them as well just to be on the safe side, but it seems pretty useless according to the reviews I've read.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Junk.
Are you even looking at the same pictures and replys we are? My Pacesetters have gone through two winters and look similar to Kevins. I have never used SS headers but if I had to get another set I would def get SS. Especially after seeing the above pictures.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Pacesetters, I can never recommend them. They will rust within months. Garbage.

S/C Z71, I dont think Ive seen him post a single constructive thing on this site.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Junk.
Ya know, I don't like to be a dick, and basically like to give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but dude, you're an opinionated tool who has no idea what he's talking about. Every thread that you post in you're conveying something negative with no thought whatsoever to back it up. If you don't have anything positive or informative to say, stop whoring up threads with ignorant responses.

If you live in a northern climate that sees snow, or salt on the roads, do yourself a favor and get some stainless headers. My current StainlessWorks headers have been through 3 New Jersey winters driven daily, and are doing great aside from some discoloration. Previously I had a set of stainless Gibson shorties that were on my truck for 5+ years and were solid when I removed them, aside from surface rust and some discoloration. My cat-back exhaust that is currently on my truck has been on there for 9 years, and the only part of it that gave me a problem was the U-bolts that weren't stainless. I removed the tail pipes when I lowered the truck and they were completely solid, as well as the Stainless tips that were still in great shape.

Unfortunately, mild steel will rust, and rot. I would think that it's impossible to get the ceramic coating perfectly sealed, end to end, so that no moisture can attack the mild steel underneath...there's simply no way to stop the cancer from happening. I've seen it happen numerous times, KevinF56's PaceSetters are the perfect example. Now if you lived in a hot, dry climate, such as Texas, Arizona, Nevada, etc., then I'd say go for it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

Cough.....still junk. Sorry if you guys don't like the truth. Nothing I can do about that.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cough.....still junk. Sorry if you guys don't like the truth. Nothing I can do about that.
well from my research SW would be the only ones i would buy because they are stainless and if thats how they look after 4 harsh salty winters then they are a damn good product. You call them junk but i don't see any reasoning why in your posts to back your statement up?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Junk.
Like your truck Why do idiots come in and always have be retarded

Quick Reply: non coated headers in canadian winter?