Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Noob here with dream

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here with dream

I'm finally breaking down and going internal.
After hours of research, and development, I think I’ve finally picked out all the goodies i'm looking for.

- TR 224/227 .563/.569 114 LSA Cam
- Complimented by patriot dual golds, basically for redundancy
- Titanium retainers to lighten things up a bit
- New hardened pushrods
- A set of long tubes, MFG to be decided
- Re-tune from blackbear

For a first internal mod, I think I’m on the right track but still being a noob, I’m open for feed back.
Truck is a Silverado 2500hd with the 6.0 and nv4500 5 speed tranny. Centerforce stage III dual friction is still in the box just waiting for the stock clutch to go.
I drive the truck daily, however it’s not typically very far but when I do drive it, I work it hard most of the time. It see’s high rpm’s a good bit. I pull trailers, campers and it gets hooked to the sled occasionally.
I’m certainly not easy on equipment. I bought it for a purpose; to use. I dont straight up abuse the thing but like I said it does get worked so if you think I should drop down or go up on the cam, use different springs, etc let me know. I’m all ears.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

call me dumb but what is MFG?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Manufacturer
Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

gotcha...
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

i love 3 posts with absolutely no feedback lol common guys toss a bone my way.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

You dont need those springs, you need a good beehive. The weight of the spring also matters, not just the retainer. The dual spring may even be worse for valvetrain stability because it will be setup soo far from coilbind. Im running 918s myself.

Just trying to help you match your combination correctly.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Which is why i'm here postin up, to get my combination right. Only reason i wanted to do dual springs is only because if one broke, theres a better chance of my engine not being destroyed, from what i've researched. I"ve read some bad things about 918 beehives and it scared me away from the cam idea for a bit, until I read about the gold duals. My main concern is that the engine from the factory will take just about anything you throw at it. I need it to remain that way no matter what modification I do. You'll hear some ppl say often that the most reliable engine is from the factory. True? Probably to some degree, however i've seen time and time again, the more you mod, the more problems you'll encounter. Whether or not just a cam and long tubes will cause any harm if done correctly will effect longevity, well i guess its 6 one way half a dozen the next. But, seeing on here and every other site regarding these motors that pretty much everyone has a cam makes me think otherwise. If it did effect anything, i'm sure not as many ppl would do it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engines are reliable because they're designed to operate within the parameters GM sets for them. At x horsepower within y rpms the engine should last z amount of miles. You never typically hear about the valvesprings failing because they're probably rated to .550" and the stock cam is only pushing high .4xx" lift.

Go look in the gmt900 section and see how many guys are happy with 4l60s and stock one piece driveshafts...point I'm making is once you go beyond what the system of parts was designed for, you'll find all the proverbial weak links. It's just like tires and their speed ratings, stay within them and everything should be fine, but go above them and you're doing so at your own peril.

I'm not trying to frighten you away from modding your engine, for what it's worth I'm changing H/C/I this winter, so I'm not trying to talk down from my soapbox, but you need to assume everything is breakable under your own power, so treat things with common sense and moderate restraint and you'll still maintain the longevity of stock.

Good luck on your build and post any more questions that come up.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like the cam choice, but i too would run single springs, not duals
Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, Whats a good single spring these days? I've read bad things about 918's. Is it all hear say?

Quick Reply: Noob here with dream