Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is this normail?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goshawk23
well also, to help on the part throttle acceleration you need to do the free mods. get rid of the egr, port and polish the tb, tb bypass and do the egr trim. however, if you do the egr delete you are gonna need tuning to get rid of the code that is gonna be thrown.
That's one thing I don't have, a ported TB. I know the one I had on my Camaro made a nice difference.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm quite certain it's the torque converter not unlocking soon enough. Mine is doing the exact same thing. I brought it to a trasmission shop last week, they said it's normal. Well, i guess I don't want normal. I want it to respond faster. As soon as i hit 55mph, it locks up and feels like i'm driving a 4 cyl unless i stomp on it to get it to downshift. Really a bad, bad feeling.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the TCC lockup and release table for a stock 2000 5.3L truck. It takes alot of throttle to get that thing to release.

Numbers on top are TPS% and the numbers in the chart are mph.

The downshift jpeg shows the stock upshift downshift conditions that have to be met in order for the upshift/downshift to take place.
Attached Thumbnails Is this normail?-tcc.jpg   Is this normail?-downshift.jpg  
Old 08-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
That's one thing I don't have, a ported TB. I know the one I had on my Camaro made a nice difference.
you and me both. i am waiting on BigKID to get his truck in order then i am gonna try to steal him for a day to work on mine. i have heard good things from it.

it could be the tq verter, i won't argue that, however, when i had the same 42 gears, my truck took damn near full pedal for it to downshift. after gears and the free mods which helps on the part throttle acceleration, my truck does not act the same. i give it quarter throttle and it will downshift and go. i do not have a aftermarket tq verter either. after i had the predator, intake, pulley, plugs, wires, and efans i was still left wondering why it took that much peddle to go. after the gears. no problem.

another scenario. my sister has an 01 tahoe with the 5.3. same year as my truck. only mod is a drop in knn filter that i donated. i drove it around for the better part of the day and it did the same damn thing. granted it is heavy. but it can't be that much heavier than my ext cab. it took almost a full pedal to get it to down shift.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.....what exactly is the top engine cleaner? Is it exactly what it sounds like?

My engine isnt horribly dirty...........
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep, exactly what it sounds like. It is a solvent either in an airasol or liquid form that the truck 'ingests' to cleant the intake track (intake ports, valves, combustionchambers) of the motor.

Originally Posted by goshawk23
you and me both. i am waiting on BigKID to get his truck in order then i am gonna try to steal him for a day to work on mine. i have heard good things from it.
Next time I am up at the house, we can just swap TBs and I will port your stocker for myself when I have the time.