Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

not happy

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gears might be easier to do now than another cam, but i actually get decent economy on the highway
Old 05-23-2009, 09:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Hey Corey, your TSP 5.3 heads are a piece of ****. I'd be willing to bet that you actually lost power over the stock heads!

Meanwhile, I can barely break 380 hp with a high compression 6 liter, a healthy high lift cam, and ported corvette heads, thru a manual transmission!
very true
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, you guys are hardcore aren't you? Michael, what gives you the right to mock me? I'm not going to bench race with you or even argue for that matter. I'm simply trying to help the original poster out with the fact that TSP heads aren't always what's advertised.

I ran across this gem on another forum I sometimes visit.......

http://www.hardcorels1.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=2875

For those of you that have TSP heads, did you really "check" them before installing them? Or did you put total blind faith in them before running them?

Things that make you go "hmmmm"
Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Lets keep this civilized guys...

Originally Posted by hirdlej

For those of you that have TSP heads, did you really "check" them before installing them? Or did you put total blind faith in them before running them?
I wasn't mocking you at all, but i do have TSP heads, but i am not sure what you meaning by checking? Also I have read a few things on ls1hardcore, in my opinion that forum seems to just bash everyone and everything...
Old 05-23-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I can be civil, I just don't take kindly to bashing. I just am trying to help someone out with a potential problem they're having.

What I mean by checking the heads is upon receiving the TSP heads, has anyone ever done a vacuum test on the ports to verify the valves are sealing properly? During the combustion process, cylinder pressures can easily exceed 1K PSI. Whenever I receive heads, I always disassemble them completely and check out everything personally before installing them to ensure that they're setup properly. I would use some prussian blue dye that will not dry and check how well the valve mates with the valve seat. I also check the valve guide clearance, installed spring heights on ALL valves, retainer to spring fitment, retainer uniformity, etc etc. Heads aren't anything to take lightly when assembling your motor. You want to make sure everything is working in complete synergy.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Resident Retard

What I mean by checking the heads is upon receiving the TSP heads, has anyone ever done a vacuum test on the ports to verify the valves are sealing properly? During the combustion process, cylinder pressures can easily exceed 1K PSI. Whenever I receive heads, I always disassemble them completely and check out everything personally before installing them to ensure that they're setup properly. I would use some prussian blue dye that will not dry and check how well the valve mates with the valve seat. I also check the valve guide clearance, installed spring heights on ALL valves, retainer to spring fitment, retainer uniformity, etc etc. Heads aren't anything to take lightly when assembling your motor. You want to make sure everything is working in complete synergy.
I didn't when i got mine... IMO most people won't, they like me assume the part is what it is supposed to be... I don't have cams checked out when i buy them, i assume they are what they are supposed to be... But as far as that thread, i read some of it, i dunno what happened there, but I like mine, and many other people liked theirs. Maybe they are not the absolute best but for the money they are hard to beat. I don't think me spending an additional $1k on heads would have gained me that much. That is just my opinion and that is why i went with PRC heads...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, you guys are hardcore aren't you? Michael, what gives you the right to mock me? I'm not going to bench race with you or even argue for that matter. I'm simply trying to help the original poster out with the fact that TSP heads aren't always what's advertised.

I ran across this gem on another forum I sometimes visit.......

http://www.hardcorels1.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=2875

Things that make you go "hmmmm"
Unless you have any experience with TSP heads then you really need to quit making statements like this:

The problem just very well may be WHO did your heads...... I bet you'd run better with stock heads than the TSP pieces. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of someone's stuff running out better with
For every thread/post you find knocking TSP there is one praising TSP, and none of us know if any ulterior motives are at play. If I had to guess, I'd say some of those shops down in Texas are a little pissed off/jealous at the business TSP is doing.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well from what I've heard that shop in the thread that was talking **** about prc heads is a joke anyway
Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by visHous00
Well from what I've heard that shop in the thread that was talking **** about prc heads is a joke anyway

ACtually that thread is the only thread I have seen that says the heads are bad... There are countless threads on here and on Tech where people like the heads. Me included.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have them on my truck too. I like them

Quick Reply: not happy