Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Not happy with new Doetsch shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not happy with new Doetsch shocks

Well,when I first droped my truck I went with Toxic shocks(didnt know any better)I have been putting up with the harsh ride from the rear end ever since.Until now.Last week I ordered a set of doetsch shocks(heard good things about them)was really hoping for a more forgiving ride from the rear end.No such luck,I still have a harsh ride....I actually can't tell a difference in the ride compared to the Toxic shocks
Old 06-05-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Not happy with new Doetsch shocks

Don't you know there all the same shocks with differant paint and stickers! But seriously, Can you return them?
I'm happy with the bilstiens.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

try getting the edlebrock shocks next. so far everyone that has them, likes them. i did my drop and used the stock shocks for almost 2 years and as soon as i put the edlebrocks on i noticed a big difference.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Cheap!Summit drop shocks.Extremly soft.Watch my truck leave on FMS's website and you'll get the idea.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I LOVE my edelbrocks. I couldnt imagine using any shock! They are well worth the extra cash and I think anyone that buys them will agree.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, I'm surprised the Doestch Tech's were that stiff (even though I've never used them before). I too have heard from many people that they liked the DT's.

As for "everyone" liking the Edelbrock's I'm not too big a fan of mine. They're o.k. at best. They still have a pretty damn harsh ride IMO, but hey, which drop shocks don't.

Maybe try the ones someone else mentioned, I think they were the Summit Racing brand. If you try them let us know how you like them. If I can get more than one opinion on the Summit Racing shocks I'm might purchase a set and try them.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Doestch are junk they make a good off road shock but that is about it!! As far as Edlebrock their alright but still not your best bet. If you are looking for ride quality and not concerned with performance(ie: cornering/towing) Then I would cough up the cash and go for Bilstein's much better shock then any listed above!! You also have to remeber that the springs have about a 50%say in your ride quality as well, asuming that your not lowered the summit's might even make things worse then the DT's/Toxic's!! Take it for what it's worth just my loley $.02
Old 06-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think that one must also consider the springs when mentioning a shocks stiff ride. The springs obviously have ALOT to do with the ride.

If you are looking for a shock that isnt stiff then why even change shocks from the factory's? I also think that if you are changing the shock the springs should as well.

As far as the bilsteins, well I wouldnt recommend going with em. My friend had an exploder with bilsteins that blew out after less than a year with them on. He does drive his truck hard but this type of failure is not cool.

If you want the best handling suspension setup than go with edelbrock shocks and hotchkis springs. If you dont really care about handling, well...then do as you please.

(I am only speaking from my 9+ years of experience driving, racing and modifying cars.)
Old 06-06-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Normally when I reply to someone's post with advise I check all the fact's first before I through something out.
Truck IS lowered so STOCK shocks would be useless.It's called bottoming out.Aparently he's not real concerned about handling,he just want's a smoother ride.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Well, there in lies part of my problem. I have the stock springs up front because I have a DJM 2/4 lowering kit. I put the stock height Edelbrock IAS shocks on the front and the 4" lowered IAS's on the back. It's pretty stiff up front but really stiff out back. Should I go with a stock shock up front? To me that would seem kinda weird, having a stiff performance shock in the rear and a soft stock shock up front. Wouldn't it ride like ****?

Quick Reply: Not happy with new Doetsch shocks