Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Not happy with new Doetsch shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Not happy with new Doetsch shocks

The Doetsch Techs do a really good job at keeping my truck from bottoming out on the frame. If you go with a softer shock you will bottom out on the frame all the time, so you'll end up with a crappy ride anyway. Your best choice for a smoother ride without going to bags is to c-notch your frame, and then go with a softer shock. And yes, it would ride like **** with stock shocks up front and stiff ones out back. Your front end would be bouncing up and down like a hoopty ride.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't care for my Edelbrocks at first, harsh ride, but I have noticed that they have seemed to settle in a little, and seem to ride a hell of a lot better than when brand new. They are just about a little over a month old. I talked to about 5 others with these shocks, and they all said that they loosened up a bit after a month or two. It rides a lot nicer now with about 1500 miles on them. I was worried that it meant that the shock was going bad, but from the others I have talked to, the longest owner has had them for 3 years now, and he said they still work great, and they did loosen up for him also.

I know that Tokico has come out with Trailrider R/T shocks, that are just like the Edelbrocks, but are supposed to ride a little smoother.

I would not trade my shocks out, since I get a nice ride for around town, and when I throw it into a corner, I can really feal the shock stiffen up for the handling. Pretty awesome to me!
Old 06-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yea well I DID read the post before I posted my advice. Maybe someone else should take their own advice

After reading one of 01sportsides posts he clearly states that he IS running stock springs up front. That is problem number one. I think if he was running a hotchkis spring and the edlebrock drop shock he wouldnt have so many complaints about his ride.

My point in my original post was that running a spring inferior to the hotchkis (wether it be a stock spring or other brand drop spring), in my opinion, could result in a poor ride and handling.

I took a fellow forum member, Chingon, for a ride in my hotchkis and edelbrock equipped truck and he commented on how NICE and SMOOTH the ride was. He said he didnt know what people were talking about when they said that the same setup was so rough.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:59 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a fellow forum member, Chingon, for a ride in my hotchkis and edelbrock equipped truck and he commented on how NICE and SMOOTH the ride was. He said he didnt know what people were talking about when they said that the same setup was so rough.
Yep. I was worried that the ride might be TOO rough from reading all the posts of people bitching that its uncomfy. Um, ok grandma... Of course the ride felt stiffer than my stock ride, but please, it wasn't even bad at all. Can't wait to get a set for my truck...
Old 06-07-2003, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Yea well I DID read the post before I posted my advice. Maybe someone else should take their own advice

UM,who started this post 01sportside or ranwalk.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the DJM 2/4 drop(control arms and shackle/hanger kit)Since i'm still running the factory springs and the drop only changes suspension travel some I dont know why it cant retain at least close to a "factory ride".I have no complaints about the ride up front,but the rear of the truck is harsh and choppy.Seems like the shocks could have been made slightly more forgiving,but a little firmer than stock to help prevent bottoming out.Everybody also keep in mind bodystyles...you cant really compare the ride of an extra cab to a reg. cab.(longer wheel base makes for a smoother ride)As far as handling goes...I would like handling,but these are not going to help in handling in my opinion.They are so rigid,if I were going real hard into a corner that has a harsh bump or dip,the rear end would easily jump up and kick around.Maybe they will soften up a little after a month or so.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

ranwalk (and others interested),

I called DJM yesterday and the guy I spoke with (didn't get his name) told me that it was BETTER to run a stock shock (or DJM stock height shock) up front and a stiffer shock (like their DJM 4" drop shock) out back with their 2/4 kit. That's weird! Everyone here says different, but wait, most of them don't have DJM kits

Anyway, he didn't get into much about why to run these types of shocks but he did say the way the lowered front control arm (up front) is setup it is made to have a stock style shock on it (not a really stiff shock). I don't know much about DJM's shock but since their cheap I might try their 4" lowered rear shocks and either my stock shocks up front or the DJM stock height shocks and see what they ride like. Worst case scenario is I don't like the ride and I take them off and sell them
Old 06-09-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Well here is my two cents on the subject.. I have a Hotchkis kit and Doetsch shocks. I was really pleased with the ride of the combonation of the two till a few months ago. As it took the Chevy dealership two weeks to put in my new tranny they left in the air(jacked up by the frame) the entire time. Once I got it back I noticed my ride was really sloppy in the corners and bottomed out bad on bumps. My truck also squats more on takeoff and nosedives more on hard breaking. So my verdicet on the DTs- good shock to start out with but are not very durable. I am still tring to decide if I want to try to use the lifetime warranty on them or try a new shock.