Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

This is not a muffler question... but it is about exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is not a muffler question... but it is about exhaust.

I feel slightly dumb for asking this because I feel like the answer is going to be too obvious...

Here's the scoop... '86 Silverado, 305 with duals -no crossover- back through glasspacks out through tips... save the redneck jokes, that's the way it came 4-5 years ago when I bought it. Anyway, I noticed a long time ago that the right side has a very noticeable note to it, but when you listen to the left side it sounds like it's huffing. I listened to it today, and the left and right side are distinctly different from each other as far as sound. Just wanting to know why. Is it from the rotation of the motor; the fact that the exhaust doesn't have an H or X-pipe; or could it be the glasspacks themselves?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be a number of things really....starting at the head's going to the mufflers, or even one or more cylinders losing compression. It's a big toss up...could be simple or complicated.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine used to do as you described on one side and it turned out to be a little exhaust leak...when i changed the rear part of my exhaust, the little 'whisp' or 'huffing' went away
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sonoma43
could be a number of things really....starting at the head's going to the mufflers, or even one or more cylinders losing compression. It's a big toss up...could be simple or complicated.
That's pretty much what I thought, that it could be one thing or a number of things. I had been thinking compression, but it's been running better than when I got it, so I thought that might not be it. I don't know -shrugs- more than likely it's just one of those quirks/joys that comes with owning an old truck.

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
mine used to do as you described on one side and it turned out to be a little exhaust leak...when i changed the rear part of my exhaust, the little 'whisp' or 'huffing' went away
The funny thing about that is that the right side sounds the strongest and has an exhaust leak where the manifold meets the down pipe; the left side is the one that sounds like it's huffing... that's why I thought compression, or something.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any more thoughts or opinions?