Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Obx vs lpp shorties

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obx vs lpp shorties

Hey peeps, I need some help between two sets of headers i'm stuck choosing between. I've decided to go with shorty headers for my 2002 Sierra 5.3L vs long tubes due to installation factors. Which between the two in your opinions would you all go for? LPP or OBX?

And correct me if i'm wrong but reason im going with the shorties is because they simply replace the factory manifold and can bolt on to my factory exhaust which is still in a good shape. On the other hand, the long tube setups look as if i'd need to do quite a bit of exhaust modifications. Am I correct?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

for $500 you can have everything you need to do LPP stainless LT's!
shorties are a waste of money, they are nothing more than a nicer looking manifold
Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Teching In

what size are the primaries on LPP LTs?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

1 3/4" Primaries w/ 3" Collectors.

To the OP, the LPP headers with the ORY will bolt right up to your stock exhaust.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorties are a direct bolt in, but are only good for looking like you have a set of headers in there. If you're in Cali where emissions are are as strict as Hitler's regime, then go for the shorties, as they may yield 5-7 hp for you. Otherwise, LT's are the only way to go.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Shorties are a direct bolt in, but are only good for looking like you have a set of headers in there. If you're in Cali where emissions are are as strict as Hitler's regime, then go for the shorties, as they may yield 5-7 hp for you. Otherwise, LT's are the only way to go.
Im in Cali and want to get some LT LPPs and have my cats moved so it still passes visual. I dont need a smog for another what 4 years?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Okay, I see your point, but maybe i should explain my story here. The reason why i'm getting headers really is because my manifolds bolts started breaking off the head. The problem only just begun so the necessary repais only include 2 new manifolds and bolt kits. altogether, the price tag runs over 300$. So for that price I can get a great set of headers WITH bolts.

I'm afraid that if I get long tubes for a truck I'll only keep for another 4 years or so, this 300$ project will end up costing me 600$ plus shipping plus whatever it costs to have someone do the welding on the long tubes. It almost sounds like it could run me up to 1000$ or more with hiring someone for the welding.

Another thing... do the long tubes reduce ground clearance?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
Another thing... do the long tubes reduce ground clearance?
No. Hillbilly muffler shops reduce ground clearance. Modern headers fit very well.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

there isnt any welding on LT's the ORY clamps on, if you weld'ed it you wouldnt be able to take it apart very easy if you had to do anything with the tranny.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

With the pacesetters you'll have to drop the trans crossmember to pull the ypipe. at least I have to.

Quick Reply: Obx vs lpp shorties