Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Obx vs lpp shorties

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like everyone said...dont bother with shorties and just got like LTs...you wont see much gain at all with sorties if anything...I only noticed stuff on top end(above 4k)...but not with my cam and stuff it def. helps out...

as far as your exhaust, Im very little modification would have to be made if you got the ORY with your headers...

BTW I have OBX LTs
Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if your not going for performance then dont waste your time on any headers.... alot of us have manifolds lying around that you can have for little to nothing.....

id go LTs or back to stock... shorties are pointless.... on these trucks.....
Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

o and the LTs do not require any welding.. direct bolt on.... and also they fit awesome.. and do not reduce ground clearance.....
Old 03-07-2009, 07:43 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
Okay, I see your point, but maybe i should explain my story here. The reason why i'm getting headers really is because my manifolds bolts started breaking off the head. The problem only just begun so the necessary repais only include 2 new manifolds and bolt kits. altogether, the price tag runs over 300$. So for that price I can get a great set of headers WITH bolts.

I'm afraid that if I get long tubes for a truck I'll only keep for another 4 years or so, this 300$ project will end up costing me 600$ plus shipping plus whatever it costs to have someone do the welding on the long tubes. It almost sounds like it could run me up to 1000$ or more with hiring someone for the welding.

Another thing... do the long tubes reduce ground clearance?
If the manifold bolts are breaking (common problem, I've heard of this before), you shouldn't have to replace the manifolds, just the bolts and gaskets. Remove the manifolds, remove broken bolts (hopefully you'll be able to grab them with some vice grips or something and there won't be any drilling involved), clean mating surfaces, and re-install. When my buddy's 03 6.0 HD broke the rear most manifold bolt, he was able to just remove the manifold, and the bolt practically came out by hand.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Ok, big thanks for the info people. After all your suggestions and telling me the fact that welding is not required if i get long tubes, i may change my mind. Fact is that regardless of the choice I take, not going back to manifolds, I've read that it's a common problem due to the weakness of the bolts and the excess pressure at high RPM's that builds in the manifold. I'm pretty rough on the truck so I could see this happen again. I'm lucky that i have enough bolt thread left to grab them, and hopefuly come out.

I'll go for long tubes if i can get a decent price for them. I can find a set of OBX long tubes with the Y-pipes and all that would be needed for 499$US plus 50$ shipping. The problem is that I'm canadian and with the economy as it is, our dollar lost about 20% of its value compared to the American dollar. They would cost me roughly 710$ with shipping.

I've read though that OBX has had issues with the flanges and the spark-plug wires burning though.

Since you're all more experienced with these parts, can anyone suggest a place where i can get a set of LPP's for a good price? Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
Since you're all more experienced with these parts, can anyone suggest a place where i can get a set of LPP's for a good price? Thanks again!
www dot lpparts.com That's LPP's website...I can't provide a direct link because of the forum rules since they're not a sponsor here (maybe they shouuld become one )
Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

back on my old 4.8 i broke one off in each head... when doing the pacesetter install.... i couldnt get them out so i just went on with out them and i never had a problem with leaks because i went to GM and got the MLS gaskets and not the cheap ones that come with the pacesetters.. i dont know what the other headers come with.. so which everones you choose make sure they have good gaskets.. i wanna say it was like 10 or 12 bucks a piece for the GM ones... id say its worth it.. make sure to put good bolts in too.. not ones that are gonna rust up like the stockers....
Old 03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go stick with oBX I liked it mine. BUT one thing I not like the driver side where header design pipe for power steering. But I used it. It all direct fit with no problem.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I wish those LPP's would have been around when I bought my OBX's. They look much better. I would actually take my OBX's off and throw them in the trash if I had the cash for those LPP's right now.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckmann
I wish those LPP's would have been around when I bought my OBX's. They look much better. I would actually take my OBX's off and throw them in the trash if I had the cash for those LPP's right now.
any reason why you dislike the OBXs so much?

Quick Reply: Obx vs lpp shorties