Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Official NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to do 2000 4.3 5 speed to 01 5.3. If the 5.3 motor I get has no accessories, will the 4.3 front accessories direct swap over? Thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,100 Posts

No, unfortunately you will need a gen3 accessory setup. You can use your 4.3 alternator but not much, if anything else.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM
makes children cry

Received 432 Likes on 354 Posts

power steering pump is the same as well. also, if you get the harness from an automatic truck, make sure to swap over the purple clutch safety switch jumper wire in the fuse block.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:55 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by ampersand
Looking to do 2000 4.3 5 speed to 01 5.3. If the 5.3 motor I get has no accessories, will the 4.3 front accessories direct swap over? Thanks
As posted the 4.3 power steering pump will work but you'll need the small power steering support bracket from a V8. This bracket bolts to the rear of the pump and to the V8 engine block. (part # 12554032)

Official  NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide-jg1omc6.jpg
Old 11-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Great info, thanks guys. now to source the parts
Old 11-28-2018, 03:37 PM

Default 04 5.3 in an 05 4.3 Silverado. No spark???

Originally Posted by Syclone354
great thread, wish it was the first one that came up when i did my search! anyway couple questions...

ecu - if you got a motor, harness, and ecu from a v8 truck can you use the v8 ecu. im not looking to get any more right now than just a stock v8 (yup manifolds and all) so i dont need a custom tune or anything.

acc bracket - bolts up to the v8? ps pump and alt can stay same locations? dont have to touch wiring or ps hoses or anything? thats what i had assumed but wanted to double check.

flexplate - you just need to make sure the flexplate is the "bell" shaped one that sticks out (like an ls1)?

manifolds - if i do use the stock manifolds to get going, will they match up to the stock y pipe?

year motor - our truck is a 4.3 rwd ext cab 2001 so im looking for a 99-02 engine? i know about the dbw part, but does the harness ecm etc change after 02? or if i get an 03 later motor harness ecu could i just change to an older ls1/ls2 intake with a cable throttle body?

thanks for any help you can give! ! This truck is a daily driver, unlike the syclone which is getting a build 6.0 and im using fast xfi, turbo, etc. I want her truck to be just like it is now, she gets in, turns the key, and goes to work and back just like its the stock 4.3 (just sounds better and has more umphfffffff!)

So I have read this thing through several times and I too, like the post above, am just looking for a daily driver.

I purchased a used 5.3 with its matching transmission, wiring harness, computer, y-pipe and everything out of a wrecked 04 Avalanche. I witnessed the truck run prior to the engine and trans being removed. I have already put it in my truck, did a VATS relearn and I am still not getting any spark...? I am getting fuel and everything else seems to be fine. Do I need to have the ECU flashed or something? I have checked all the grounds, by feel only, need to get another multimeter, and they are tight. I even added secondary ground to each harness for the coil packs and nothing! Is there something I'm missing? I did not change anything, just dropped everything from the other truck into mine and hooked everything up. PLEASE HELP, this is my only vehicle and it has been down for 6 days and it's in the low 30's here!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2018, 08:05 PM
makes children cry

Received 432 Likes on 354 Posts

i had that problem the first time i tried to start mine - everything metered out fine but no spark signal to the coils. verified it to be a PCM problem by putting the computer in my recruiter's truck & it not starting either. mailed it back to the tuner, and he claimed all he did was flash it again, but it fired right up when i got it back.

not saying that's definitely your case, but it could be an option to try.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by _zebra
i had that problem the first time i tried to start mine - everything metered out fine but no spark signal to the coils. verified it to be a PCM problem by putting the computer in my recruiter's truck & it not starting either. mailed it back to the tuner, and he claimed all he did was flash it again, but it fired right up when i got it back.

not saying that's definitely your case, but it could be an option to try.
The PCM was straight out of the original truck, with no flash or tune. Was hoping I didnt have to have that done due to everything coming out of the original truck complete. I will look into that though, as its looking to be the only missing link at the moment! Thanks for the input!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Are you absolutely / positively and then Absolutely sure "AGAIN" that the PCM is the same as the motors??? I bought a Motor (Harness and Computer) and it had what I was told was the original PCM to the motor and I ended up having a start-up issues until the PCM got flashed by a local tuner.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by prican_2000
Are you absolutely / positively and then Absolutely sure "AGAIN" that the PCM is the same as the motors??? I bought a Motor (Harness and Computer) and it had what I was told was the original PCM to the motor and I ended up having a start-up issues until the PCM got flashed by a local tuner.

Good luck.
It was the same PCM. I talked to a local tuner and he said it was most likely a crank or cam sensor issue. Come to find out, it was an unplugged crank position sensor. Now it just has a p0300 misfire that I'm trying to diagnose... it never ends....

Quick Reply: Official NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide