Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

oil leak??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default oil leak??

Hey guys, i have a 2001 silvy and there is a decent oil leak from the rear of the engine. Its not too horrible but its bad enough that if i drive and get the engine good and warm i can park it over night and come back to a couple dime size drops of oil.. I'd like to get it fixed but if its gonna be really labor intensive or expensive i'll just wait.. My delimma is i just had a 4L65e installed and when it was installed i had the rear main checked out(the mechanic said the rear main looked fine but my oil pressure sender was pretty wet around it, so he said he reached up from the back of the engine and took it out and resealed it).. well that was about 1,000 miles ago and now it seems like it may be leaking alittle worse now, the only thing is i dont have any oil drippings from the driver side of the engine(like your looking up at the oil pan where the filter is located) its all on the passenger side on the starter and runs down the oil pan to where the bellhousing bolts to oil pan. I have replaced the oil pan gasket by the GM service manual and this did not slow the leak or fix it. I have noticed that there is oil residue on the front of the block at the valley cover and it looks like the oil if resh there like it regularly leaks, but again it dosent leak horrible.. Do you guys think it would be worth my time and monet to pull the intake and change the valley cover gasket and reseal the oil pressure sender so i can make sure its done right? 2 years ago i did intake gaskets, knock sensores, and valve cover gaskets so i've been it there before..

Sorry about the long post guys, i just wanted to describe my issue as good as i could..

Thanks, Jonathon
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, the truck has 196k on the stock 5.3
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your valve covers again, they can be tricky, my 5.3 was doing something similar. I planned on doing all upper gaskets but swapped to a 6.0. If you didnt get a new oil pressure sending unit try getting a new one cause they can crack from pulling the trans and moving stuff around and what not. I would say the valley cover would be worth it cause my 98,000 mile 5.3 one was filthy around it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i had thought about just doing it for the heck of it.. i'll probly have $100 in parts cause ill get a new knock sensor harness too along with all the other gaskets.. i think my valve cover gaskets are good, there is only very very light residue around them after 2 years of operation but since they are the cheap rubber o-ring type gaskets i may replace them anyway.. while the intake is off ill take a little wire wheel on my dremel and clean the head mating surface up good.. i also may try cleaning up some of the engine harness some and getting rid of some of that bulky wire loom.