Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Oil Pump Change Debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I think I will just keep the stock pump. I haven't really seen the answer I was looking for to go with another pump.
Unless someone else has more info to share in this department?

Jim
I'm sure it will be just fine, if its not or your oil pressure isn't where it should be, you just replace it, no worries
Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

jim, your truck is basically new! quit nit pickin and get your junk in there and break some transmissons
Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by moregrip
I'm sure it will be just fine, if its not or your oil pressure isn't where it should be, you just replace it, no worries
35-38 PSI at idle. I know that's plenty. It comes up higher as the rpms go higher.

Jim
Old 11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
jim, your truck is basically new! quit nit pickin and get your junk in there and break some transmissons
I'm trying! Haven't got my loaner ride yet to begin all this work.
By this Sunday, I will have all my driveline issues cured! Headache fixed in that department!

Jim
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I'm trying! Haven't got my loaner ride yet to begin all this work.
By this Sunday, I will have all my driveline issues cured! Headache fixed in that department!

Jim
how many miles are on your rig?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i would guess right around 20k and the guy serously drives like a grandma when he isnt on the track.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

only reason i would is for peace of mind. my oil pump quit on me after 35000 miles. i caught it on a startup so nothing was damaged. if you're in there replace it with a ported ls6. there are several guys that have had this same problem.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The word I've heard from reading around LS1Tech (can't remember the exact thread though ), is that all of the GENIII engines use the same oil pump, from the 4.8 to the LS6 (not counting LS2's...I found this out before they were released). So swapping to a stock LS6 pump is a waste, and you mentioned that you've heard of some issues with the high volume pumps. I too would be weary of a perfectly good factory pump that's been fiddled with by adding stiffer springs and possibly compromising the integrity of the pump. I'm not sure about your truck, but according to my guage (which I know isn't totally accurate, but seems to be consistant with other trucks I've seen), my oil pressure is is at 45 while warm at idle, which is better than any vehicle that I've ever owned. I don't know how much oil volume I'm pushing, but I have been under my valve covers several times throughout the life of this truck, and don't see any signs of oiling issues. If you have low miles and are trying to keep a budget, I'd say stick with your stocker.

Not sure which route I'm going to go now if I ever get to build by 6.0...I was set on the Lingenfelter because the price is so low and LPE has a great rep...but cash is tight and the project is on hold until I win the lottery or my wife and I get better jobs, or move out of this frickin overpriced state (NJ)...or whatever.

Last edited by budhayes3; 12-02-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:54 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you read partially right. the pumps are the same but the spring is different. i know since i personally port them and sell a few. the standard pumps use a brown spring and hte LS6 uses a blue spring
Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
how many miles are on your rig?
I wish I had only 20K!
I have 34K now.
Now you guys have me confused on replacing it or leaving it!
A ported pump would give less oil pressure at idle in my opinion. It will probably get a lot higher at higher rpm's.
If I were to replace it, I would want one that is of better quality and possibly gives a bit more oil pressure through out the entire rpm band, idle included.
Well, I will need to think and read about this a bit more before throwing another 150-200 dollars into this project.
So, should I leave the factory pump or change it?

Jim

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Change Debate