Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much does one of these sending units/pumps cost?
Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DrX was right, no baffles in the tank. Like ranwalk said, its just too big to go through the hole. I though about drilling it out and letting the pump go through the bucket, but I didn't want to drill/cut it up.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how well does the Holley 12-902 fit? Does it kill the bucket function??
Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

so, is it ok to not cut or drill the hole in the sending unit? I didn't. I just put the filter on the bottom and folded it around the pump, then slid the pump into the sending unit. it is in there pretty tight. I hope that's all i had to do cause i don't really wanna take the bed off again. everything is working fine as far as i can tell, but my inline pump just died too. grrrrr
Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
so, is it ok to not cut or drill the hole in the sending unit? I didn't. I just put the filter on the bottom and folded it around the pump, then slid the pump into the sending unit. it is in there pretty tight. I hope that's all i had to do cause i don't really wanna take the bed off again. everything is working fine as far as i can tell, but my inline pump just died too. grrrrr

That is what I did too. just left the sock on the pump and folded it around, but I can't go WOT under a 1/4 of a tank with-out loosing pressure.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:21 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The replacement pumps don't have the extra tiny outlet or a tube that drives the venturi pump which draws fuel from the bottom of the tank to keep the bucket filled under low fuel conditions. This keeps the pump immersed in fuel during acceleration or hard cornering to prevent aeration. The bucket is designed to always be full no matter what the tank level is. This feature is lost with the replacement pumps. Cutting holes in the bucket obviously doesn't help either. Whether you cut a hole for the pickup or keep it in the bucket, you should still maintain an adequate fuel level in the tank to prevent aeration due to sloshing. Similar problem if you switch to an external pump with a pickup into the tank. Keeping the pump immersed also supposedly greatly prolongs pump life and reduces noise.

In my returnless setup, the in-tank regulator also spills back into the bucket. I believe the same would be true for the return line on the older systems. This also helps to keep the bucket filled. But not if there are holes in it.

Only Racetronix that I know of claims to have a pump that feeds the venturi system. But nothing that is a drop in for my app. Their system is designed for F-bodies. They don't seem interested in doing anything for trucks. http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F99-FPKG-2.html

Just about got everything buttoned up after the tranny install. The fuel system is my next project. By the way, anybody know what the thread type/size is on the Radix fuel manifold where the quick connect piece screws in? Doing some planning.

Here are some pics of my stock pump, the GSS341, and my tank module. The large grey thing is the in-tank filter. Of course there are many different modules and pumps. Just check whether your factory pump had the venturi drive feature.
Attached Thumbnails Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-factory-fuel-pump-002.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-walbro-gss341-fuel-pump-061.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-fuel-pump-030.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-fuel-pump-ports.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 01-19-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Doc, thanks for the pics of the tank and 04+ pump. Here are a few pics I shot of the 99-02 design. After reviewing them a few moments ago, I came up with a theory of how it works but I will need to make a mock setup in the sink to be sure. I will let yall know how my little experiment goes.
Attached Thumbnails Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-p1010002sm.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-p1010003sm.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-p1010004sm.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-p1010005sm.jpg  

Last edited by BigKID; 01-19-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

The rest of the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-p1010007sm.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-p1010010sm.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-p1010006sm.jpg  
Old 01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Kenny, let me know how it comes out. If there is a better way I may change mine. Also if you end up butchering up your bucket during the fab proccess, let me know. We allways have some old ones laying around here.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

This one is a spare assembly a buddy of mine gave me from a warranty job. I think the only thing wrong with it is the sending unit.

Quick Reply: Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.