Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
The rest of the pics:
My theory on this one:
Looks like dual intakes. When the fuel level is high enough both one way flapper valves on the bottom of the bucket will be open. One eqaulizes the internal/external fuel levels and the other allows the pump to draw through the center port from outside the bucket. Whenever the fuel level drops due to sloshing the valves will close to keep the bucket from draining and fuel will only be drawn from inside the bucket. Let us know.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree with that analysis but my quandry is... Other than from the return, how does the bucket fill once the tank level drops below the top of the bucket? That is what I am hoping my experiment will show me.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with that analysis but my quandry is... Other than from the return, how does the bucket fill once the tank level drops below the top of the bucket? That is what I am hoping my experiment will show me.
On mine, I did put an o-ring at the bottom of the pick up, hoping it would seal off good enough for the return to keep the bucket full. Of course, since i'm pulling fuel from only the bottom of the tank, this would only help to keep the pump submerged to keep it cool. There is, however, another hole in the bottom of the bucket that sits over the filter sock. I think that maybe if the bucket fills up, it will overflow into that hole and help supply gas to the filter sock as well.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Based on your pics, I will postulate that there is a venturi effect as fuel is drawn through the sock and across the second large opening near the outer edge of the bucket before entering the pump inlet. Due to this effect fuel will flow up the large tube and spill over into the bucket. Your experiment will prove or disprove this theory.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

OK, kill that theory. Doesn't make sense. That's probably where the return line spills into.

Is that another valve on the bottom of the pump? If so, it is probably open when the pump is drawing from outside the bucket and it allows some fuel to be pumped into the bucket. Closes when the pump is drawing from inside the bucket. So you would definitely lose the mechanism for keeping the bucket filled if you change the pump.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i installed the same holley 255 and it took about an hour. but my question is sometimes when i start it up( on cold starts) it doesnt start fully the first time then the second right vroooooooom. i figured it was just because it was a different pump. it doesnt do it everytime like i said its only normally in mornings or when its cold outside. just somethin i have been wonderin
Old 01-22-2006, 08:08 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigMike9009
hey i installed the same holley 255 and it took about an hour. but my question is sometimes when i start it up( on cold starts) it doesnt start fully the first time then the second right vroooooooom. i figured it was just because it was a different pump. it doesnt do it everytime like i said its only normally in mornings or when its cold outside. just somethin i have been wonderin
Does your system hold pressure after shutdown? Did your pump have a check valve in the nipple?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440891
Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

I will be restoring the venturi fill feature of my bucket. I tapped into the drive tube that is supposed to connect to the bottom of the factory Bosch pump. Pumped some air through it and it filled the bucket in no time. Now I just have to do a little plumbing to get the Walbro to drive it. Here are some pics of my experiment. There was less than 1 inch of water in the outer bucket.
Attached Thumbnails Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-pdrm3138.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-pdrm3145.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-pdrm3135.jpg   Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.-pdrm3136.jpg  
Old 01-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
One thing I noticed with my fuel pump is when the tank is under 1/4 full, and I get on it hard, my fuel pressure drops off and I get a missfire code. Not good for the fuel pump or the engine.

that is y i asm building me a tank to go all the way in back and put the aeromotive 11103 it is good for 800n/a hp and 500 f/i hp
Old 01-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not really for sure. maybe it came off and i didnt even notice it. well it only does it occasionally in the morning so ill just live with it. im too lazy to drop the tank again and take it all out to check. lol

Quick Reply: Ok, done with the in tank pump. Come in.