Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ok.. is it my Water pump or the seals around it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok.. is it my Water pump or the seals around it?

So last year the seal around my water pump went. I got the aluminum seals from GM at that point. Leak stopped, 6 months later, the leak started again, so I re-did the seal with ATV sealant as well as the aluminum seals. The pump's bearings felt solid and it didn't appear that the back of the pulley was wet. I thought the leaking had stopped, but it would leak when the engine was really warm "only when there was lots of pressure in the engine." 2 days ago the leaking got worse.

I saw the leak this time... It appeared that the water was leaking on the plate cover and leaking on the shaft behind the harmonic balancer. Considering where it was leaking, it seemed to me that maybe the pump had been the issue and the seals were properly repaired the first time. SO I took the pump out again 2 days ago and the only water I could see around it was where that tiny little hole is behind the pulley. The bearings yet again felt solid with zero play around the shaft and the seal behind it was very solid and dry. Well, after letting the RTV sealant dry over 24 hours to be 100% sure the seal was good, I took it for a drive, and water yet against was leaking behind the harmonic balancer. NOT on the sides where the pump meets the block.

So, could the water pump be leaking despite the bearings being good?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

im not sure, but people have stacked several gaskets with no leaks, they are pretty good.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Teching In

If it was me i would just replace the Pump and be done with it!

a leaking Water pump is an Invitation for a Blown head gasket if the moror gets to hot i know you know this though.

The Worse case would be to get stranded somewhere :~(

It's a Bolt on part,Show your truck some Love and by her a new Pump:~)

And any pumps i have replaced ,have never really had any bearing Play it was always the seals or what ever,i always got water out that weep hole,that tells ya the pump is bad!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah I just gave away a OEM water pump lol. used
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Sigh... I simply don't want to spend 220$ on an AC/delco pump if i'm not 100% sure. Forget OEM. Cheapest i found in this retarded city was 360$. I can't see myself screwing up a seal 3 times, and over that, the location of where the water is coming from points more towards the bearings than the seal... but on the other hand, the pump feels solid as hell when I take it out.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Whippleman
If it was me i would just replace the Pump and be done with it!

a leaking Water pump is an Invitation for a Blown head gasket if the moror gets to hot i know you know this though.

The Worse case would be to get stranded somewhere :~(

It's a Bolt on part,Show your truck some Love and by her a new Pump:~)

And any pumps i have replaced ,have never really had any bearing Play it was always the seals or what ever,i always got water out that weep hole,that tells ya the pump is bad!
OHO? man... weep hole?? Man i am getting slight wetness out of that hole when i pull the pump out. I can't see the hole unless i take the pump out though. Ok, screw it. 220$ may be a days worth of pay but it's been 6 months worth of worry. And after your post, I'm convinced it's the pump.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there's not an issue with running hot or coolant coming from the weep hole, then replace the gaskets and don't us the rtv sealant. Or replace the pump and gaskets and be done with it. Cheap Insurance for your motor.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the way you describe it, coolant is coming out of the weep hole, which means that the pump needs to be replaced. There is a seal in that area that seals off the pump hub from the cooling system. I know that the OEM pump is expensive, but I personally wouldn't mess with an aftermarket or you'll more than likely be replacing it again pre-maturely, just my opinion. You might find a new OEM on ebay, or a used one in the classifieds here.