Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

old man cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old man cam

tell me about this thunder cam...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

210/220 .600/.520 115 lsa i think, my buddy put one in his TA but then swapped it for a trak. the trak sounded way better and the power was never ending. The power climed till redline, the old man peaks at 390 or so. But the old man also dosnt require any springs or retainers, so if your lookin to make more power but not more work then just a swap, then the old mans a good bet. But while the springs are out might as well replace with better and step up to the trak.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06WT
210/220 .600/.520 115 lsa i think, my buddy put one in his TA but then swapped it for a trak. the trak sounded way better and the power was never ending. The power climed till redline, the old man peaks at 390 or so. But the old man also dosnt require any springs or retainers, so if your lookin to make more power but not more work then just a swap, then the old mans a good bet. But while the springs are out might as well replace with better and step up to the trak.
um just curious, but where in the hell did you get your information?
First of all it's a 214/220 .600/.523 lift on a 115 lsa

Second of all I'm assuming he's talking about this for his 5.3L which is completely different than an ls1 camaro. Us truck guys have to run much smaller cams.

Third, how in the hell could he get away with using stock springs? Stock springs on our trucks are rated to about .500 or something like that. He'll definantly need new springs.

Fourth, the trak cam is WAY to big for a stock 5.3 much less any form of 5.3L truck engine.

Please don't post if you have absolutely no idea what you were talking about. Not a single sentence you posted contained helpful or correct information.

EDIT-5th, you don't have to "take out springs" when removing a cam.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

ok more info? anyrun ran it in their truck? how do they like it?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

why do you say its too big? people are running 220/220 cams in the 5.3 all over the place and claiming good results... im curious about this cam too and what people think about it... lookin at 04Black's truck he doesnt wanna lose anything down low for offroadin purposes... but thats just a guess from the bigger tires he has...

how do you like the vette servo with those big tires? does that even factor in? did you feel too big of a power loss down low with the pacesetters? i have mine sittin in my room waitin to go in cause its too freakin cold and snowing outside...

sorry if i just jacked your thread... but at least im asking you questions instead of someone else hahah
Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

i really didnt notice too much of anything from the pacesetter's idk maube my butt dyno is broke...vette servo helped i did notice something from that.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by UnrthdxDream
why do you say its too big? people are running 220/220 cams in the 5.3 all over the place and claiming good results... im curious about this cam too and what people think about it... lookin at 04Black's truck he doesnt wanna lose anything down low for offroadin purposes... but thats just a guess from the bigger tires he has...

how do you like the vette servo with those big tires? does that even factor in? did you feel too big of a power loss down low with the pacesetters? i have mine sittin in my room waitin to go in cause its too freakin cold and snowing outside...

sorry if i just jacked your thread... but at least im asking you questions instead of someone else hahah
Originally Posted by RandomHero
Fourth, the trak cam is WAY to big for a stock 5.3 much less any form of 5.3L truck engine.
Here are specs of the TRak cam according to thunder racing:
TRAK cam Thunder Racing Custom "TRAK" Camshaft - 231/234 .640/.590 112 LSA 2400-6800 RPM Power Band. Excellent mid-range & high RPM power. 3200+ stall, 3.42+ gear, computer tuning required. Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended. Comp 921 Valve Springs are highly recommended.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

hah sorry i need to learn how to read...

04 Black... did you do the wait4me tune and longtubes at the same time?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

From what I have seen on F-Bodies: the Old Man cam and the CheaTR cam put out about the same power. Both are intended for stock like power bands, so they utilize most of that powerband. This means they need to produce lower-end torque to make it worth while. These seem like good torquey cams, but with the aggressive lobe profiles, you will need either 918s (will get you by) or 921s (for durability). I am contamplating the Old Man cam as well.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

would you get the old man truck cam? or the regular old man cam... the only difference i see is the truck version has 2 degrees of advance ground in.. which looks like a good thing to me since that is supposed to push the power band a lil lower in the rpm range.. what is the point of getting a cheater cam if you have longtubes? isnt the huge bias on the exhaust side supposed to compensate for having stock exhaust manifolds? or maybe someone could explain why they put such a huge bias on the exhaust side of the cheater cam.... ?

Quick Reply: old man cam