Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

old man cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

this is the dyno graph of the old man cam in a TA - FWIW.

http://www.thunderracing.com/dynogra...n=read&pgid=63
Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spoken to the guys at Thunder in person since i am local to em about the old man cam and from what i was told it is exactly that. A cam that would be suitable for a old man. You will get a bit more power throughout the stock powerband and thats it. For the most part it's a good cam but not for someone who wants to go fast so to speak. Two guys from Thunder with the same mods and same reg cab trucks did a old man cam and a comp 212/218 High Rise and the high rise truck would pull away from the old man cam truck every time. I was told this by both of the guys who owned the trucks so i would say it's a nice cam but not a good power jump so to speak if you want to really get moving.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnrthdxDream
hah sorry i need to learn how to read...

04 Black... did you do the wait4me tune and longtubes at the same time?
LOL, don't worry about it. Happens to the best of us.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yah i went with the the comp cams everynone is talkign about..phone Comp...gave them my mods...and future ideas...and it best suites me.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

so one thing im tryin to consider which is probably different from alot of you guys is not how well it pulls top end (old man vs the comp hi lift 212/218) but i wanna know how it does down low for offroadin purposes. ive got some 285/75/r16's on my truck right now and i wanna get 315's on when i do a body lift... i know im gonna get some 4.56 gears but i wanna do a camshaft that will do well down low too... thats why im curious aobut the cheater camshaft...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally had that cam in my old RCSB 2wd 5.3 its a great cam, however I wish I would have installed the 220 112* instead. The 220 has alot more torque at mid range. My old truck was a full bolt on with the old man truck cam and it made 306rwhp and 320 tq at the wheels. The power wasnt apparent until 3400rpm with the old man truck cam. BTW new springs and pushrods are need it is .600 lift!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your crazy if you think the old man truck cam doesnt make power. I gained alone 36rwhp just from the cam swap and thunder gained 40rwhp. The lower duration of the 212 218 (more torquey of a cam) probley what set the 2 apart. Now install a 2800 stall in the 2 trucks and the old man would probley pull away. Its not how much power it makes it matters were the power is made. Especially talking with cam swaps without stall converters.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
Your crazy if you think the old man truck cam doesnt make power. I gained alone 36rwhp just from the cam swap and thunder gained 40rwhp. The lower duration of the 212 218 (more torquey of a cam) probley what set the 2 apart. Now install a 2800 stall in the 2 trucks and the old man would probley pull away. Its not how much power it makes it matters were the power is made. Especially talking with cam swaps without stall converters.
I never said the old man cam doesn't make power. I was simply trying to tell the thread creator what i was told about the cam when i asked the guys at Thunder about it. Nothing more.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

well i still have some more thinking...
Old 02-16-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnrthdxDream
so one thing im tryin to consider which is probably different from alot of you guys is not how well it pulls top end (old man vs the comp hi lift 212/218) but i wanna know how it does down low for offroadin purposes. ive got some 285/75/r16's on my truck right now and i wanna get 315's on when i do a body lift... i know im gonna get some 4.56 gears but i wanna do a camshaft that will do well down low too... thats why im curious aobut the cheater camshaft...
What I would recommend for you, sicne you want low-end torque, is to look for a cam with short duration. Duration is almost directly proportional to where peak power is made. A higher duration cam will want to spin higher up in the rpms, vs a short duration cam. 240 duration cam would like to spin to 6800 rpms, while a 200 duration cam would like to spin to 5600, based on an LS1. Now the more lift you can get, the better ... to a point! The lift allows more airflow to enter, for a given duration. But if you go too far on the lift, you cause durability problems, since high lift cams (above .600") tend to require springs like Comp Cams 921s. You could run with a spring similar to a Comp Cams 918, but you may need to replace them more often. Then the 921s, or similar, may cause durability problems elsewhere. Now as far as LSA, the wider the more dynamic compression you get, which for low-end is great ... especially on low compression engines that are not wanted to spin beyond stock power ranges (5500 max). Also, advance in the cam helps with low-end, or brings the power band closer to where it will be used most of the time. With all of this, too much is not good. And everything I have posted is generally speaking in term of specs. Your best bet is to discuss your goals honestly with your preferred cam grinder or engine builder, not a tech person over the phone. Good luck!

Quick Reply: old man cam