Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Old School exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School exhaust?

Hey All,

First let me say that I have a 98’ Silverado 5.7L ECSB 4x4 that is bone stock. So after reading this forum for a few months it has made me really want to get exhaust on my truck However, I cannot justify spending $500-$1000 on an exhaust setup right now. I’m wondering if it would be pointless to just replace my muffler with say a Borla, or Flowmaster and do nothing with the rest of the exhaust? No, I’m not looking for performance, I just want a little rumble out of the truck. I’m sure people have done this but it’s hard finding info on the old school trucks in this forum. What muffler would you recommend? I would actually like it on the louder side. Or will just a muffler make it sound like crap? Anyone selling aftermarket exhaust for a 98??? Also, does anyone know the in/out diameter on a 98'? Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Hey All,

First let me say that I have a 98’ Silverado 5.7L ECSB 4x4 that is bone stock. So after reading this forum for a few months it has made me really want to get exhaust on my truck However, I cannot justify spending $500-$1000 on an exhaust setup right now. I’m wondering if it would be pointless to just replace my muffler with say a Borla, or Flowmaster and do nothing with the rest of the exhaust? No, I’m not looking for performance, I just want a little rumble out of the truck. I’m sure people have done this but it’s hard finding info on the old school trucks in this forum. What muffler would you recommend? I would actually like it on the louder side. Or will just a muffler make it sound like crap? Anyone selling aftermarket exhaust for a 98??? Also, does anyone know the in/out diameter on a 98'? Thanks!

These trucks already have decent size engines making a loud grumble. Even if you have your old manifolds on and put a decent muffler, you'd get a bit of a grumble out of it. But the sound you'll get out of it may be unpredictable. Go on youtube and search for muffler sounds. Keep in mind that even keeping you manifold and perhaps building an inexpensive custom dual exhaust will produce much more results.

Keep in mind that upgrading is always much better when done all at once. If you don't have the money, then wait. Waiting will end up costing you much less if you can get a whole system setup. I've made the mistake of not waiting before and just ended up costing me.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know what you mean. I would love to make my own dual exhaust. I've just never really done it before (the welding). This may sound dumb but where do you even buy the piping? Autozone, Murrays, etc? And do you get stainless steel so it doesn't rust or is that not even possible. Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

You can buy tubing kits from jegs or summit. If you just want the cool sound just get you the magnaflow or the flowmaster they both will give you a decent rumbly sound.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

I say chop off the old muffler and weld in a new one with a turn down, simple. You could try a hooker aerochamber muffler, I love the way mine sounds.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my headers used off the site, Y pipe, 4ft of 3" pipe, and Borla Muffler from Summit. Spent like 500-600 bucks on it all.

Changing the muffler will of course give you more sound. You just gotta listen to each muffler to see what sound you want.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

I did a muffler and turn down $150 installed. Mind you I got the newest flowmaster super 44 $100, instead of a cheap $30 glasspack.

Do a turn down and throw away the over the axle stuff. Car Craft ran a test and the over the axle section kills TQ and HP. I don't know by how much on my motor, but it did very well for a 475 horse 383 SBC.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want an old school exhaust exhaust use old school mufflers. Two Classic Chambered Powersticks with an x-pipe in 2.5" and you're done. It'll be loud but sounds awesome.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

you can't make a y-pipe exhaust sound good....IMHO
Old 05-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

i got a 98 and it doesnt have any Y piping. its the true dual exhaust that is routed under teh passenger side. i cut off the muffler and the over the axle piece and on went some glasspacks. it popped a lot and sounded bad in my opinion because it was pretty much open exhaust. i slapped on a muffler not many people have in my area. cherrybomb vortex. the day it was put on, i went to a gas station for a buddy to get some smokes and the guy in there that works on hot rods had asked what i got under the hood from the sound of my exhaust. my buddy told him it was a pretty much stock truck on a cherrybomb muffler. lotta people hated my glasspacks. now, i get nothing but compliments on the sound of that cherrybomb. and, on my way home i have a slight hill an theres a house with a car alarm... i tap the go pedal just a wee bit and you see the cars lights chirp. personally around me here in illinois, there are so many magnaflows and flowmasters that i wanted to do what not many people in my area did. and i love it. although this summer im getting hedman hedders, new cats and still routing it the same way with the same muffler.