Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

one of my 02 sensors was damaged can I repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CNE
Actually per GM, you are not supposed to splice or repair O2 wiring. Any corrosion from improper sealing will affect readings, as well as poor splicing. Now with that said, do what you want, it's your truck.
they actually recommend using perma-seal crimp and seal butt connectors on any low voltage circuit.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CNE
Actually per GM, you are not supposed to splice or repair O2 wiring. Any corrosion from improper sealing will affect readings, as well as poor splicing. Now with that said, do what you want, it's your truck.
They also recommend not to go over 98MPH. No offense, but if done right he'll be fine. Like the next post after you said, a perma crimp would be good too. Nobody is gonna argue that a wire straight thorugh isn't better.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:21 PM
CNE
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 454SuperSport
they actually recommend using perma-seal crimp and seal butt connectors on any low voltage circuit.

Actually, it is exactly like I said, they are not to be repaired or attempted repair in any way, shape, or form. I'm not trying to start anything, just stating facts. The following is directly from GM Service Information.

Notice: Do not remove the pigtail from either the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) or the oxygen sensor (O2S). Removing the pigtail or the connector will affect sensor operation.

Handle the oxygen sensor carefully. Do not drop the HO2S. Keep the in-line electrical connector and the louvered end free of grease, dirt, or other contaminants. Do not use cleaning solvents of any type.

Do not repair the wiring, connector or terminals. Replace the oxygen sensor if the pigtail wiring, connector, or terminal is damaged.

This external clean air reference is obtained by way of the oxygen sensor signal and heater wires. Any attempt to repair the wires, connectors, or terminals could result in the obstruction of the air reference and degraded sensor performance.

The following guidelines should be used when servicing the heated oxygen sensor:

• Do not apply contact cleaner or other materials to the sensor or vehicle harness connectors. These materials may get into the sensor causing poor performance.

• Do not damage the sensor pigtail and harness wires in such a way that the wires inside are exposed. This could provide a path for foreign materials to enter the sensor and cause performance problems.

• Ensure the sensor or vehicle lead wires are not bent sharply or kinked. Sharp bends or kinks could block the reference air path through the lead wire.

• Do not remove or defeat the oxygen sensor ground wire, where applicable. Vehicles that utilize the ground wired sensor may rely on this ground as the only ground contact to the sensor. Removal of the ground wire will cause poor engine performance.

• Ensure that the peripheral seal remains intact on the vehicle harness connector in order to prevent damage due to water intrusion. The engine harness may be repaired using Packard's Crimp and Splice Seals Terminal Repair Kit. Under no circumstances should repairs be soldered since this could result in the air reference being obstructed.

Now with that said again, if it were mine, I would probably try to repair it with a heat shrink sealed type connector, preferably one with solder in it. If you try and it fails, you can always replace later.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my manual:
Any attempt to repair the wire will result in a lost sale for GM.

That being said, repair it.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you do a clean, quality repair, you'll be fine. If you just twist the wires together and throw some electrical tape around them, expect problems in the future as corrosion will create resistance which will affect the sensor's signal to the PCM. I've repaired plenty of busted wires on many different vehicles will no ill affects...Even shielded wire can be repaired with the proper guage shielded wire as long as it's done clean and solid. Solder is not always necessary (and Toyota actually recommends against it since 2002), if the proper crimp connectors with heat shrink and internal solder are used. (some connectors you buy have a layer of solder inside them that melts when heated after being crimped, and the outside plastic also melts)...I'm not sure where to buy these, but I like them and plan to do some research and get a bunch one of these days (when I have a free second lol).

I've bought connectors straight from the Chevy dealer (such as the one that plugs into my alternator....4 pin, 2 wire) and they come with the recommended crimp connectors.