Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

opinions: STS vs RADIX

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great kits. I got the STS because of price and ease of installation. I'm more than happy with the results.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the sound of the Radix, but I love the sound of the turbo also.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:08 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Only Radix truck in my area to compete with me at the track is an SS Silverado with a 75shot of nitrous and even then I bet I get him
I would have to beg to differ with you, and would be more than happy to take the 6 hour drive to see it! What we have here is this, take a STOCK RCSB with a Radix and 6 psi and the take a STOCK RCSB with the STS and 6 psi, I will put CASH money on the Radix truck.

If I were to take the Magnuson shirt off and talk about both kits (I have installed and driven both)......I would have to say once again "boost to boost" no cams or other power adders, the Radix truck will take an equally equipped STS truck. Been there, done that. To each his own, if you prefer the STS kit thats great! If you prefer the Radix kit, that is even better.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

That instant boost would be hard to beat.

WHen I still had the 60e I was at 12.6 with the stock pulley on. That would be only about 7psi.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

If boost is boost then I don't see whay you say the Radix can beat the STS kit. Care to explain? And to keep things even lets add all the stuff to the STS kit to make it equal in price to the Radix.

I'm really curious why you say 6psi to 6psi the Radix will will. Unless of course you mean base kit to base kit, but then we both know that isn't quite fair
Old 09-07-2004, 09:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ACK!

He meant completely STOCK, as in no converter
Old 09-07-2004, 09:37 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If boost is boost then I don't see whay you say the Radix can beat the STS kit. Care to explain? And to keep things even lets add all the stuff to the STS kit to make it equal in price to the Radix.

I'm really curious why you say 6psi to 6psi the Radix will will. Unless of course you mean base kit to base kit, but then we both know that isn't quite fair
Well since the topic of the thread was STS vs Radix, I think its pretty save to say its base kit to base kit....That is what I mean by boost to boost. I did not say boost is boost. If you add all the stuff to the STS kit from the base kit you will far exceed the cost of a RADIX. I don’t need to explain much, I have tested and driven both trucks and set ups. Hence the reason I work for Magnuson not STS.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:37 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe it has to do with the manner in which the boost is delivered....

I believe the radix will still see some boost and full boost sooner than an STS and from what I've read the sooner you get these heavy trucks moving the quicker you will be.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Well since the topic of the thread was STS vs Radix, I think its pretty save to say its base kit to base kit....That is what I mean by boost to boost. I did not say boost is boost. If you add all the stuff to the STS kit from the base kit you will far exceed the cost of a RADIX. I don’t need to explain much, I have tested and driven both trucks and set ups. Hence the reason I work for Magnuson not STS.
hey, could you get me a job. lol sorry
Old 09-07-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
I believe it has to do with the manner in which the boost is delivered....

I believe the radix will still see some boost and full boost sooner than an STS and from what I've read the sooner you get these heavy trucks moving the quicker you will be.
The radix will not see more boost. It will however see more boost - quicker. F8L is hitting 13psi with his system. Ever seen anyone on here saying they did that with a Radix? The MP112 may be able to do that with a Ford, but not with a GM. The most I ever hit was a little over 10psi, with a 2.75" pulley. That was with 3 different cams and every mod possible. Also, the Radix will only see full boost at the shift points, not so with a turbo.

The Radix is the best "all-around" kit out there, providing you don't continue to push for more power (like a stroker build, free flowing heads limit boost- even on stock motor, etc..). Base kit to base kit though, the STS kit would have only cost me $3600 to my door. That would have left me with the need for a tune, but that would not make up the cost of the Radix, which was $4700 to my door. The STS would lock me down to 6psi for that cost - safely. It was only $800 to go to my GT-70. that left the need for much larger injectors, $500, and two in-tank pumps - $250. But I will be feeding a free flowing 408. I'm also shooting for 15psi.

If you want to go higher boost (say max 10psi), then the Radix shines on cost. Because now all those things you would need to safely run a STS that high (larger injectors, different fuel delivery) are already there for a Radix. The only down side is if I wanted to get to say, 13-15psi, Magna doesn't make an upgraded blower. Only one mp112. Turbos are a dime a dozen and pretty cheap and easy to upgrade to get you to the 13-15 range.

But, if I wanted to go with only a (5-6psi) base kit then the STS would really be cheaper, bar any need for injectors and a diff fuel pump.

**Edit - I forgot to mention the intercooler. The Radix already has it covered, albiet could use some improving depending on your wants. If you want to go over 10psi with a STS kit, you'll need to get one. F8Ls was only $275.

Quick Reply: opinions: STS vs RADIX