Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ordering a cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff at Thunder didn't want me to buy that cam. He's recommending their Cheater cam 214/230 600/575 115+1 or maybe it was 117 as that's what their website says. I don't know what to think. TR's web site says the 224/227 cam is designed for no2 or superchargers but as soon as I told him what I had (5.3 w/Radix) he told me that was not the cam for me and went right to this 214/230. He says the small intake duration won't matter w/the blower pushing air in and that the 117 works good with the blower because with the valve overlap present on a 114 I'd lose considerable boost as the air is blown out the exhaust valve still being open due to the overlap. Makes sense. But... I don't feel right about that cam yet. It seems small. But????

Comp cams recommended their 224/230 581/588 114 which sounds better to me. Part of having a hot rod.... in fact a significant part of having a hot rod, is the sound and I want to be able to hear some lope!!

Jeff/TR made it clear he'd be glad to sell me what I want but that his recommendation is the 214/230.

Regarding heads: Dart says I want their 225's. Richard and Gunnard say 205's or the bigger valves in the 225's will cause shrouded valves. More confusion.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I'd urge you to listen to Richard about the 205s.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
FWIW, I'd urge you to listen to Richard about the 205s.
Could you elaborate a little and help me understand why? Thanks, Jim
Old 01-27-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you are wanting the best looking and feeling torque curve I'd go with the cheater cam and the 205's. If you are wanting maximum upper rpm hp and tq I'd go with the 224/230 114 and the 225's; a stall of at least 2500 as well. That cheater with the 214/230 117, you won't even be able to hear a difference in idle probalby. The reason for the 205 recommendation is when you tell them its a truck everyone thinks, oh it's heavy and it's a truck and you are going to want maximum low to mid range tq. The smaller runner keeps velocity up at low rpms and improves low end power. But from out previous conversations in what you said you were wanting out of your play truck(not your DD wood hauler) I'd go with the 225's and the 224/230 114. As i've said before, it is all about matching your combo.
You and I both like big cams thus that is the reason I can't ever bring myself to buy a smaller head for the same money. Usually you end up going bigger later and wish you would have bought the bigger head. If you've truely got the hotrodding bug then that 5.3 isn't going to keep you happy for too long. I see a 6.0L in your future at a bare minimum.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Mark!!!!!!!! We DO think alike. I didn't have enough knowledge to be able to translate my gut feeling into rational thought. I just knew that I wanted the bigger cam & heads and I was afraid for a while there that I was on the wrong track. Thanks to you chimeing in now I know why I wanted that combination... other than just wanting the engine to sound BAD for my "public"..... you know... all those young female admirers that turn their lovely heads and stare at my truck .

I appreciate you giving of your time and energy/thought to my situation.

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-27-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

No problem Jim, anytime.
BTW, I have the stuff on order for your hx. I actually ordered enough to do 3 just in case anyone else wants one.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
No problem Jim, anytime.
BTW, I have the stuff on order for your hx. I actually ordered enough to do 3 just in case anyone else wants one.
Cool!

Jegs said they could get the heads by about April 26 and Summit said about Feb 20 and that seemed to be wishful thinking. I then was able to find a guy in Washington state that had 1 set and he's shipping them to me maybe today and if not then Monday!!!!!! Have to get the Comp Cam ordered tomorrow.. if they are open on Sat.

Nelson has his pulley's on sale for $50 each and I have a 2.8 and a 3.0 coming. Now I need to order the meth kit and it sounds like there are a lot of satisfied customers buying from Alky Control (As a recovering alcoholic I kinda like that name... Alky Control ).

There does not seem to be a good dyno tuner closer than the Chicago area so when I get the heads/cam/pulley/meth installed I'll have to head up to see the daughters and get a tune. Then give the grandsons a ride that'll make'm forget all about Disney!!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

$50 bucks I'd buy a couple myself if I had my radix still! Everything sounds great! The biggest problem I see is that you not living close to a tunner then the next thing is for you to learn to tune yourself. I just bought HPtunners and it is on the way. Gomer lives 1-1.5 hrs from me and that is too far. I'm just too picky and like to tinker a lot. I don't have the patience to wait on someone else. If you can get out of the snow you can have Gomer do the tuning. Only $250 for unlimited tunes, he doesn't do mail order though.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
$50 bucks I'd buy a couple myself if I had my radix still! Everything sounds great! The biggest problem I see is that you not living close to a tunner then the next thing is for you to learn to tune yourself. I just bought HPtunners and it is on the way. Gomer lives 1-1.5 hrs from me and that is too far. I'm just too picky and like to tinker a lot. I don't have the patience to wait on someone else. If you can get out of the snow you can have Gomer do the tuning. Only $250 for unlimited tunes, he doesn't do mail order though.

I posted on LS1tech looking for someone to do my tune and it was recommended that I get the software and get into it.

I already bought a laptop for that purpose but have been holding off on the tuning software partly because I wasn't less than positive which one to get and because.... because..... because I'm chicken!

I don't know SQUAT about tuning so messing around wit dat stuff really intimidates me to the max. I don't even know what most of those abbreviations stand for let alone where to set the specs for those areas.

I suppose if I start slow and ask questions I'll be ok. I do think I'll go to the guys at FLP (3 hrs from here but only about 20 minutes from the grandkids house) for the first tune.... them or Outlaw.

Gotta get some ARP head studs and rod bolts too.

Where's the best (read cheapest) place to get Pacesetters?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I downloaded EFILive's software off of their site and started playing around and messing with it. I feel a lot more confortable now that I can mess with the software and see exactly what it is capable of doing. You should check it out!

Quick Reply: Ordering a cam