Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ordering a cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
I posted on LS1tech looking for someone to do my tune and it was recommended that I get the software and get into it.

I already bought a laptop for that purpose but have been holding off on the tuning software partly because I wasn't less than positive which one to get and because.... because..... because I'm chicken!

I don't know SQUAT about tuning so messing around wit dat stuff really intimidates me to the max. I don't even know what most of those abbreviations stand for let alone where to set the specs for those areas.

I suppose if I start slow and ask questions I'll be ok. I do think I'll go to the guys at FLP (3 hrs from here but only about 20 minutes from the grandkids house) for the first tune.... them or Outlaw.

Gotta get some ARP head studs and rod bolts too.

Where's the best (read cheapest) place to get Pacesetters?
Sounds great. Texas speed(sponsor) is where I found the cheapest price on pacesetters. Check the sponsor sales for group purchases. When you get it tunned pay close attention and ask a lot of questions. Ask them to dummy it down for you a little and tell them you want to learn to do it yourself instead of pestering them time and time again. I have learned a lot from watching Scott(gomer). If you have a general knowledge of engine mechanics and fueling/timing then you can figure it out. Figureing out how the mass air, air intake temp and map sensors play their role is key. If you don't already know what those sensors do, i'd research and learn before you ever go so you won't be lost and can actually learn something.
As far as software goes, use the search button. From what I've found is EFILive and HPTunners are both sucessuful in having equal amounts of happy customers.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I downloaded EFILive's software off of their site and started playing around and messing with it. I feel a lot more confortable now that I can mess with the software and see exactly what it is capable of doing. You should check it out!

Good idea..... thanks! Jim