Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ORY pipe not sealing, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORY pipe not sealing, need help

Well after a day of driving I hear a leak coming from the y-pipe where it clamps to the header collector. I used some high temp exhaust tape that is supposed to stop leaks but the damn tape just literally melted off!!!!! I have the u-bolt clamps on as tight as I possibly could (I broke a socket wrench in the process, that hurt like a biatch). Anyways, what can I put on there to seal it, isn't there some kind of sealant that I can use. I"ve heard of RTV red sealant. Can I squirt some of that on there and let it dry? Thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 01:45 PM
14 Second Truck Club

if your talking about where the y pipe meets the flange. did you replace the donut gasket on the passanger side and there is aflat gasket on the driver side. I have replaced the donut gasket twice already it is a dealership item only. like $16, AND THE flat gasket can be bought at a auto parts for like $10. if this is what you are talking about. the donut gaskets dont last for nothing.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

people have had good luck with preformed band clamps. and im pretty sure the RTV you are looking for is the copper one.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is not donut gasket or flanges, the y-pipe slips over the header collector and then a u-bolt clamp is used to tighten the y-pipe over the header collector.

Originally Posted by 02chevyracing
if your talking about where the y pipe meets the flange. did you replace the donut gasket on the passanger side and there is aflat gasket on the driver side. I have replaced the donut gasket twice already it is a dealership item only. like $16, AND THE flat gasket can be bought at a auto parts for like $10. if this is what you are talking about. the donut gaskets dont last for nothing.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weld it on
Old 08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need to be able to take it off and on because part of the y-pipe goes right beneath the trans pan, so everytime I need to get my trans fluid changed or any other type of maintenance done, I have to remove the y-pipe out of the way. maybe I'll look into the band clamps.

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
weld it on
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it is a common problem, I put a new clamp on my pass. side to fix the same problem and the next day my driver's side did the exact same thing. I think I am just going to get some high temp silicone and seal both sides.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

grab a couple of the pre-formed style 3" band clamps. walker and torc-tite both offer them. they work pretty good. i used a hacksaw and cut 4 slits about an 1" - 1 1/2" long on both sides of the y-pipe where the collector slips into it. this allowed the y-pipe to collapse over the end of the collector for a better seal.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
Well after a day of driving I hear a leak coming from the y-pipe where it clamps to the header collector. I used some high temp exhaust tape that is supposed to stop leaks but the damn tape just literally melted off!!!!! I have the u-bolt clamps on as tight as I possibly could (I broke a socket wrench in the process, that hurt like a biatch). Anyways, what can I put on there to seal it, isn't there some kind of sealant that I can use. I"ve heard of RTV red sealant. Can I squirt some of that on there and let it dry? Thanks

YOUR HEADER IS NOT IN YOUR Y PIPE FAR ENOUGH. IT TAKES AN ACT OF CONGRESS TO GET IT IN THERE. WHEN I PUT MINE ON I NOTICED THIS. I WISH I WOULD HAVE MADE MY OWN Y PIPE. YOU NEED TO TAKE IT OFF AND TAKE IT TO A MUFLER SHOP AND HAVE THEM SPREAD THE END OPEN. THEN INSTALL IT LEAVING IT ALL LOOSE, THEN HAVE SOMEONE SHOVE THE DRIVERS SIDE ON AS FAR AS THEY CAN. THEN TIGHTIN THE FLANGE. THEN THE DRIVERS SIDE SAME. THEN SUCK THE BOLTS UP ON THE REAR. RTV IS
Old 08-24-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okie, where did you get the clamps from? There are none to be found in the auto parts stores here. I was going to try to do these ideas when I first noticed the leaks but I really don't feel like taking the stupid thing off. Maybe it will be worth the extra time to go ahead and do it. I wish this thing wasn't so much of a PITA to install!

Quick Reply: ORY pipe not sealing, need help