Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Oxygen instead of NČO

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oxygen instead of NČO

I have basically an unlimited unrestricted access to an Oxygen supply.....is it possible to use Oxygen the same way as NČO (nitrous-oxide)

I realize that NČO uses the nitrogen as a "buffer" to control the combustion process...what happens if the nitrogen isn't there ???

assuming a 100hp NČO wet shot....could you achieve the same performance gain with an oxygen shot that is 1/3rd the size of the NČO shot and a high octane good quality race fuel injected at the same ratio as for the NČO shot...

since NČO is 36% oxygen the above scenario should work right ?? ( albeit with much more aggressive combustion which may require timing adjustments)
Old 05-07-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Oxygen instead of NČO

There's no practical way to feed pure oxygen to the engine but you're thinking along the right lines.Besides the danger of fire in a confined area using pure oxygen would be to great.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think pure oxygen and aluminum(heads) get along with each other.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a real safe idea either. fire + O2 = real big fire.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Im just thinking that there is no way to inject the O2 with out

Now if you put a second injector for Nitrogen.........

Just an Idea.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

why couldn't you use the same setup you would use for NČO.....bottle, solenoids, extra fuel injector...except make the oxygen jets 1/3 or 1/4 the size you would normally use....is the nitrogen THAT necessary, or could you compensate for it with higher octane fuel and reduced timing
Old 05-08-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't try it. You might end up like that one exploding car in Fast and Furious NAWWWSSSSSSS Sounds dangerous, but if you want to try it, go for it. Keep a big fire extinguisher handy. I know I would never try anything like that.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Heres a little more technical reasoning, If you simply just purged un metered oxygen into your engines combustion chambers while burning it would just burn holes through your pistons. pure oxygen can just about react with anything, as said before aluminum is one of them. If you did attempt a rather moronic set up to purge in oxygen it would have to compensate with alot of fuel. And for performance gains you would have to be able to control burn rate and temperature precisely.
Cause we have to keep stociometric or lambda (1) or 14.7 for ideal combustion. That is compensating for about 19% 02 or their abouts. You would have some serious detonation.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:51 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the whole concept of timing as it relates to spark, combustion, and the power stroke would have to be changed. The PCM has its timing tables set for normal air with the proper oxygen content. With air, timing in the upper 20* range produces the best power as long as there isnt detonation. Adding nitrous enriches the oxygen content of the air (as well as cools it) so you cant run as high of timing as you would NA. Low 20*s with nitrous is about the same as upper 20*s NA because the air fuel mix has more oxygen content.

So, adding any fair sized amount of pure oxygen would mean you'd have to really crank down the timing to fend off detonation. The mix would run much hotter as well.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Even if you use 1/3 the shot of N2O you would still be using 100% oxygen. I wouldn't even try it. Unless you can get a rental car and jury rig it so that you can do your test. Then when it blows up you just tell the rental company that something happened to the engine .

Quick Reply: Oxygen instead of NČO