Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

pacesetter headers install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pacesetter headers install

ya im going to be installing my pacesetters and ORY this saturday to be ready for the GTG on the 19th, my questions are are they pretty easy to slide in? do i put both of them in from the top or from the bottom? also is there anything i should take off besides the spark plugs? any tips or anything will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Not hard at all

I put mine in from the bottom, but i had to unbolt the steering arm. Its not bad but getting the y bolted up to em kinda sucked. Not much freedom of movement on that existing exhaust. I put a little wd40 on the headers so the y would slide better and it helped. Be sure to put some on those manifold bolts at the exhaust connection too.
Good luck

Derek
Old 03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by virgils4.85spd
I put mine in from the bottom, but i had to unbolt the steering arm. Its not bad but getting the y bolted up to em kinda sucked. Not much freedom of movement on that existing exhaust. I put a little wd40 on the headers so the y would slide better and it helped. Be sure to put some on those manifold bolts at the exhaust connection too.
Good luck

Derek
so is it safe to unbolt the steering arm? i was going to do it when i installed my edelbrock shorties but i didnt want to mess anything up, so is there anything i should or shouldnt do when i unbolt the steering arm???
Old 03-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pass-top also there is a little bolt that sitcks out from the firewall that will want to catch the header collector cut it off it serves no purpose and will make the pass header slip right in.

Drivers-bottom shove it up in there as far as you can then use a ratchet strap hooked on to the radiator core support to pull it up while use a pry bar to guide it and it will come on up easily.

When you put the y on the header collectors are a little far apart use a ratchet strap looped around both collectors to bring them closer together so the y will slip on easily. You may have to push your catback back a little when you go to bolt the ORY up to the catback to clear the studs.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 PM

You do NOT need to unbolt the steering linkage. If you do and dont support it right it can spin and break all the wires that connect the air bag and horn then you are screwed and lots of money and a major PITA.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have an underside pic of the LT's with the Y on? I need to see how it runs.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:49 PM

this is what I have not much
Name:  DSC00689.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  28.8 KB

this isnt the pacesetter y-pipe its a custom built one but it runs the same as the pacesetter.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are a few of mine, put the headers in the same way as virgil.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default pacesetter and the man

not to hijack, and I know this has been addressed a little but.

Dry are you gonna have to worry about obd-II test on inspection in Harris County? Here in Montgomery Co. they are, so I wonder about going no cats. Slow I know you don't got no stinking cats, how about where you are? I am just trying to plan ahead and see if I need to get a custom y with cats made.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

tune or 02 sims take care of any codes. visual might be a problem if the inspector does it.

Quick Reply: pacesetter headers install