Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

pacesetter headers install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck is registered in Alabama just for that reason so I can run my stroker motor with large cam no cats and whatever illegal emissions equipment
Old 03-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

you are just a shady little bast*rd aren't ya.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Back on topis since Cody is trying to keep this thread off topic

I just put mine on, I did both from underneath. Mines 4wd, but I doubt that matters. Also the pacesetter Y is a pita to deal with, then about 20 hours later I had to pull it back off witch is even more of a pita. Use some never seize or something on the collector bolts, I broke one going on, and the other pulling it back off . Its not bad with two people, one on top, one underneath. Just take your time, and try not to loose your temper.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i took out the inner fender wells the steering arm and i also had to drop my muffler to get the new y to slide in place.. Also i did mine on the lift so it didn't take long at all, wasn't hard.. Get your self some good help and a case of beer and your set.. good luck
Old 03-16-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
Back on topis since Cody is trying to keep this thread off topic

I just put mine on, I did both from underneath. Mines 4wd, but I doubt that matters. Also the pacesetter Y is a pita to deal with, then about 20 hours later I had to pull it back off witch is even more of a pita. Use some never seize or something on the collector bolts, I broke one going on, and the other pulling it back off . Its not bad with two people, one on top, one underneath. Just take your time, and try not to loose your temper.
Hey thanks for all the tips, I installed shorties before and they were a little tricky, took about 3 hours so hopefully these won't be too hard either, by the way why did u take your headers off 20 hours later???
Old 03-16-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Ur Worried About Inspection, Just Go Somewhere That Dont Really Care About The Visual. Most Little Hole In The Wall Places Dont Even Look Under It.....they Just Check The Blinkers, Lights, Horn And Hook Up The Obd2 And Ur Done.... Or Make Friends With The Inspector.......
Old 03-16-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
this is what I have not much
this isnt the pacesetter y-pipe its a custom built one but it runs the same as the pacesetter.
Did your headers come like that. I thought they came unflanged, but that pic there makes it looks like it was coated with the flange on?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

They come unflanged, the y pipe slips over the collector. I did my install on a lift and it took maybe 45 mins to get the headers bolted on and spark plugs back in. The y-pipe took about 20 mins but if you can squeeze the 2 pipes together a little they will go on much easier.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:48 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dry_kill
Hey thanks for all the tips, I installed shorties before and they were a little tricky, took about 3 hours so hopefully these won't be too hard either, by the way why did u take your headers off 20 hours later???

I figured a hour and a half, then ran into a few problems, rounding off nuts, breaking bolts having to go get a sawz all from a friends house. all in all we started about 9:30, and finished around 1:00. I had to take the Y pipe back off, cause I fried my 3-4 clutch pak AGAIN
Old 03-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed mine this past Monday. I slide both headers from the bottom. In my opinion it was much easier that way. Driverside I did have to unbolt the steering arm and push it to the side. Passenger side took out the dipstick tube and the heater hose bracket. I did not have to worry about the bolt on the firewall. Underneath I ended up taking out the transmission crossmember to get the y-pipe installed. It helped out quite a bit in freeing up some room. I would say from start to finish it took me a little over 4 hours in my garage.
Just take your time and think things through. It should be pretty easy.

Quick Reply: pacesetter headers install