Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Pacesetter headers and ory

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter headers and ory

Just got a set of pacesetter headers and ory for my 04 Joe Gibbs Silverado. Any one have any tips for installing them? Do they slip right in from the top or bottom? Anything I have to disconnect like the steering shaft?

I got the painted headers and my plan is to strip them down and powder coat them with hi temp powder. I go the headers from discountexhaustsystems.com for about $230. When they came in the paint was scratched so I called them up and they gave me $30 off.

Since I am running catless I plan on using an 02 simulator for the post cat sensor. The pacesetter ORY doesnt have an 02 sensor bung so I am going to have to weld one in before I powder coat it.

I'd appreciate any tips yall have to offer. Also, what type of performance increase should i expect? And what effect will the new system have on the sound of the exhaust? Currently the truck has the Corsa catback that comes with the Joe Gibbs pkg.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Teching In

when i had my 03 single cab it was easier to put them from the bottom. i had a hard time trying to install them threw the top and even though it may be hard to believe, a friend who was high on pills installed them from the bottom and didnt remember the following day.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Teching In

did you have to disconnect anything like the steering shaft or crossmember to get them in from the bottom?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

yeah the bolt in the steering shaft needs fo come off and there were some bars that run on side those come off too besides that have fun with the rear bolts on the headers
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

from the bottom, and i didnt have to unbolt the steering shaft
Old 01-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I'm going to coat the headers this week and install them over them over the weekend.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driver side slipped in from the bottom and the other side went in from the top. i did not unbolt anything.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Headers were stripped and powder coated last night. I literally stripped them with a bounty paper towel and laquer thinner followed by a light sand blasting to get into the nooks and crannys. Took me and hr to strip both headers. The hi temp powder i used is supposed to withstand 1200 degrees so it should hold up pretty well.

BTW I am an engineer with access to CAD software as well as a full machine shop with mill, lathe, watjet, TIG/MIG welding, 3D ABS Plastic Printing, paint and powder coat capabilities so feel free to hit me up if anybody needs any work done.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by silverado2000
driver side slipped in from the bottom and the other side went in from the top. i did not unbolt anything.
Same here and lucky for me I had no problems with the back bolts but just incase you should have a drill n tap set near by they are highly likely to break off in the block. goodluck on the install also your going to have to remove the crossmember to install the ORY unless you do like me n just cut **** up.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did mine when I was installing my PerformaBuilt LVL2. So it was already jacked up a little. I just took my tires off and took the inner fender out and had GREAT access.

I actually installed them by feeding the longtubes from the bottom with my left hand (passenger side) and threaded the bolts with my right hand. Took me maybe 15 minutes for both sides (not including taking out the fender liners and taking off the wheels.)

As far as the factory bolts breaking off. I had 3 break off. I was able to use a pair of vice grips I was able to get one out. I left one broken and had to tap the last one. No exhaust leaks so far!