Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

PAGING EVERYONE! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 03:42 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAGING EVERYONE! HELP

okay i have the ATI kit im having more problems than ever with it so i finally drove it last night for 5 mins, no gauges, so i was driveing it without the inline fuel pump even being on but didnt know it, i floored it it got 2800 it pulled like stock when it got there i guess when boost kicked it its almost like i droped into neutral revved to 4k really fast without even moving, so i came home left it alone this morning i fixed the fuel pump its on but it thre a service engine light, so i pulled out a spark plug and the tip was smokey white it had motor oil on it????
what the hell did i do!!!?
Old 06-24-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: PAGING EVERYONE! HELP

I'll take a stab and say head gasket. I sure hope you didn't lean it out to much and pop a piston, but it's possible you did that to. Hear any new sounds after your ride?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:00 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

not really i dont really know what it should sond like ive berly haerd the kit on for liek 5 mins all news sounds to me, damn this sucks im really scared i blew the motor
Old 06-24-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let some of the FI guys get some answers for you. I'm no expert in any way on FI motors. I know when I smoked a piston (blew a chunk out the top) due to a lean N20 shot, my truck still ran, but you could feel the power loss.

Slow down on the typing a bit. :p
Old 06-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...I've actually pulled plugs before in my SS that had quite a bit of oil on them. Nothing was wrong though which was kinda confusing.

The white tip is probably from running to lean. Does it smoke when you start/drive it? Do you have any way of checking out what the SES light is for?

I would say do a compression test and also a leakdown to see what type of shape everything is in.

Get a fuel pressure guage at the very least. Are you using the ATI FMU? It's pretty crappy and doesn't work most of the time.

Hope everything is Ok.

John
Old 06-24-2003, 04:59 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

theres oil all over the out side of my oil pan i guess it is the head gasket gasket but wouldnt there be coolant or something else leaking? its all just oil..
Old 06-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Find the source of the oil and I bet you find your problem.

I don't think a blown headgasket is going to cause oil to leak. Did you check for holes in your block or oil pan.

Is your filter on tight?

Best thing to do is find out where the oil is coming from and then go from there.

This is starting to sound serious.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:58 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

okay for some reason the first plug i chose to take out was the only with oil on it, i know theres an infamous piston on these motors dont remember wich one it is or what the firing order is but the only plug with oil on it was the second one closest to the firewall on the passenger side???but i started it revved it and no pinging or crazy noises it a holds a ever so slightly choppy idle at 500, theres oil on the passenger side of the oil pan like it leaked down from somewhere i cant find the source i felt all around the head and no oil... just on the pan what could leak between the head and the pan just the block right? im starting to get worried i think i blew it...
Old 06-24-2003, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The infamous piston is #7 but, my N2O took #6. I would run a compression check. This SES light is probably a misfire code. When it is running for a couple of minutes does the SES light start to flash? Also pressure test the cooling system and check for smoke out the pipe.
Why did you run it without the fuel pump? Lean is bad. It took me a motor to figure that when you are not sure, DON'T DO IT!
Good luck man.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I used to have a 90' model gmc with a 350 and a roots blower. After a race in town I pulled into a gass station and noticed smoke under the hood. When I popped it there was oil everywhere on the passenger side. It wound up being to much blow-by and oil was shooting out of the dip stick. Hopefully if you were running really lean the KR will have set the timing back far enough not to burn a hole in the piston. At full boost you may have enough blow-by to blow oil out the dip stick, especially if the timing is set back so far. Sorry for the novel, hope thats all it is.

Quick Reply: PAGING EVERYONE! HELP