Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Parish 8 Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parish 8 Please Help!

I installed my superchips tune about months ago. About a month later defaced my Mass Air Flow Sensor. After I defaced it everything was working fine. However, for the past month the shift firmness has fallen and it feels like the transmission is having problems shifting. I heard that some people have problems with their transmissions after they deface their MAF sensor due to improper readings that is sent to the computer. Is this true? And what do you think is the problem. Also it isnt the tune, because I pulled the tune out and after a day it is doing it. Thank You for the help!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

How many miles on the tranny? Did you pull the negative battery cable for 1 minute after you took the tunning out? Are you running a K&N or similar OILED filter? You may just need to clean the contacts on the MAF with a NON-OIL based electric parts cleaner.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i apreciate your confidence in me but how the heck would i know

i have heard mostly mixed results with the maf descreening so i just stayed away from it. i have heard the problems you are mentioning asociated with descreening.

thats about all i know about it
Old 04-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you descreen it it throws off the airflow reading to the computer and in turn reports a lower load on the motor. The transmission shift firmness and other things are based on load. That is probably what you're experiencing.

You could probably fix it up with LS1Edit or HPTuners software but, I have never messed with the transmission settings other than just raising shift points and what not. The other way to fix it would be to put the screen back in the MAF and if you destroyed that taking it out you'll have to find a new/used MAF with a screen still in it.

Greg is right about checking the MAF to see if it's got K&N oil on it.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took my truck to a transmission shop and found out that the shift points are sliding. I think this may have happened when I max out the shift firmness. However it is still in warrenty!