Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Parking Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake?

Anyone had problems with their parking brakes? Mine does not work at all. I know of at least one of my buddies that has had problems with his, wandered how many other people have had issues with theirs. My truck is just a 2000, but the parking brake goes all the way to the floor, but does nothing.

How hard is this to replace yourself?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Launching!

The earlier parking brakes on these suck. Your not alone. The parking brake shoe looks like a big horseshoe and is held into position by a small clip. This clip didn't hold the shoe like it should and allows the shoe to drop down and contact the rotor causing premature wear. You can purchase new shoes and it will come with better retaining clips. Also look at the inside of the rotor, if it wore into the rotor causing a "ridge" at the edge, it needs to be replaced.

Also note that GM designed the parking brake to be easy to push, so it will always feel that way, but it should hold.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Default Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
The earlier parking brakes on these suck. Your not alone. The parking brake shoe looks like a big horseshoe and is held into position by a small clip. This clip didn't hold the shoe like it should and allows the shoe to drop down and contact the rotor causing premature wear. You can purchase new shoes and it will come with better retaining clips. Also look at the inside of the rotor, if it wore into the rotor causing a "ridge" at the edge, it needs to be replaced.

Also note that GM designed the parking brake to be easy to push, so it will always feel that way, but it should hold.
I guess i'll be getting this fixed before inspection time.

Any idea how much the newer shoes cost? Should i get the dealer parts?
Old 06-27-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

my buddy had the same problem on his '00. Just get it fixed.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Launching!

I had the exact same problem. Stupidly i went to the dealership to get it fixed and paid 200 for it. I dont know how hard it is to do but i would suspect it is fairly easy as you will only need to replace the shoes and possibly align them. Try to do it yourself or find a shop.