Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Passing Emissions Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing Emissions Q

I may be moving to Chattanooga TN from Oklahoma. I have an 03 5.3 with factory manifolds no cats dual exhuast flowmaster super 40's dumped.

If I reinstall 2 cats in the factory position and clamp a tailpipe on my exhuast so it exits the normal spot of the truck will it pass a TN sniffer test?

Mods are only AEM Brute Force CAI and Exhuast.

or would I be better off getting a factory / clone Y pipe with cats and go back to single exhuast, would go to a corsa catback if hadta do this.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

I can ask around for you, but my brother lives in TN and he said as long as it starts and runs and doesn't smoke it passes...it may have changed simply cuz that was about 4 years ago, but I will check that out.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you don't have a check engine light, you should be fine.. On newer vehicles they do a OBD test with just a plug, if you arn't thrwoing a light it will pass.. I am not sure if they do a visual where you are, here they don't (thank god) I have passed everytime, I have long tubes and no cats... Even the guy at the place i quote '' Man that thing sounds like a race car'' Lmao i just smile and say thanks, am on my way
Old 05-02-2009, 03:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Maybe try asking in the Regional Section, I'm sure that we have more members from Tenn around here somewhere. In Jersey, they do the OBDII plug in, as well as a visual, basically to make sure that your cats and emissions equipment are on there. I guess it all depends on who's doing the inspection and what kind of mood they're in that day. My truck passed with no problems, with my LT's, aftermarket cats, and EGR deleted, but when I brought my work vehicle to inspection, they had a little ricer there that they were totally scrutinizing.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
As long as you don't have a check engine light, you should be fine.. On newer vehicles they do a OBD test with just a plug, if you arn't thrwoing a light it will pass.. I am not sure if they do a visual where you are, here they don't (thank god) I have passed everytime, I have long tubes and no cats... Even the guy at the place i quote '' Man that thing sounds like a race car'' Lmao i just smile and say thanks, am on my way

I have no cat backs, and are programmed to be seen even thought they're not really there.

So just like above, 02's on out are checked by computer. And I have a cut out too.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
I have no cat backs, and are programmed to be seen even thought they're not really there.

So just like above, 02's on out are checked by computer. And I have a cut out too.
96 on up...all OBDII vehicles
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Bud....

I couldn't remember the exact year, just remembered mine was covered.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Right on Lisa...I like the OBDII plug in, they've actually made it easier to mod as long as you have the right tuning software
Old 05-02-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

You know who does my tuning.. it's taken care of.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
You got ***** going into an inspection facility with no cats. What happens when they look under your truck

Quick Reply: Passing Emissions Q