Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

PCM adaptive learning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCM adaptive learning?

To get the best performance do you guys have to reset the PCM if your truck is your daily driver and you want the best times?

After the "tune" i drove as hard and fast as i could, but i cant do that on a daily basis in my town Do you reset before going to the track or does the tune "keep" the first 200 miles stored?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty sure it keeps it stored...
Old 11-08-2005, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trever1t
To get the best performance do you guys have to reset the PCM if your truck is your daily driver and you want the best times?

After the "tune" i drove as hard and fast as i could, but i cant do that on a daily basis in my town Do you reset before going to the track or does the tune "keep" the first 200 miles stored?
I've been playing around with dyno tuning here and there. I believe the way it works, is that tuners that sell a basic tune and the hand held tuners give a more aggressive timing curve, and a leaner WOT setting. The threshhold for the WOT fuel curve is also lowered. It is done like this from factory for fuel economy(when you floor it, it takes a few secs before you actually get the added fuel like an accelerator pump works to make full power). Now, where the dyno is going to come in is at WOT(closed loop). This will help to map a new fuel spark curve. At all other speeds, the MAF and the O2 sensors will work to keep the truck running at stachometric mixture, except at closed loop.

Once the memory is flashed in the computer, it doesent take it out after any mileage.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Default Huh?

Originally Posted by trever1t

What are you guys talking about? Like after getting your PCM tuned.....unplug the batt. terminals....reset the PCM and then drive at WOT for a better learn?

I thought it may kill the tune in some applications?