Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

PCV catch can questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV catch can questions...

I thinking a catch can would be a good idea given that some other posters have mentioned the oil found in the Radix intake and given that when I do the head/cam install I plan on spinning the engine to the 6500 or 7k mark.

I'm confused about the installation. Do I need a catch can for both sides? I see that the passenger side valve cover is vented into the throttle body (or Radix intake tube) and that on the drivers side the hose runs from the valve cover to the back of the sc. Do I need to run a hose from each valve cover to a catch can and then to it's normal destination? I see that the catch cans made from clear plastic have a filter in them but I can't tell if the aluminum cans have the filter or not. It seems like a filter would be necessary?

It seems to me that when I have seen a catch can installed it was only on one side. Does one catch can with a hose coming from one valve cover relieve the pressure sufficiently to prevent the engine from getting oil into the intake? ... or are two cans needed?... or one can with hoses to each valve cover and then to the intake?

There's sure not a lot of room under there for any size catch can so how necessary is it?

See.... told you I was confused.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's only needed on the driver's side. On the other side the air is moving into the valve cover not out as on the driver's side.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Can this be comfirmed please, if it is correct I have mine on the wrong side. DrX do you have any pictures
Mark
Old 02-13-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The drivers side is where I've always seen it.

What can did you go with?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

AMW,
I was just reading the instructions again. I also bought the optional Head Bracket. The instructions say and I quote "
1. Mount existing catch can bracket to head bracket with supplied 6-32 flat head screw.
2. Attach head bracket to PASSENGER side head using the supplied 10-1.5mm bolts
3. Install catch can per instructions.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Am looking at AMW web site catch can installation instructions and it says that the PCV hose goes to the fitting on top of the can while the vacumn side (i.e. throttle body/intake) fitting on the side of the can.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:11 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
AMW,
I was just reading the instructions again. I also bought the optional Head Bracket. The instructions say and I quote "
1. Mount existing catch can bracket to head bracket with supplied 6-32 flat head screw.
2. Attach head bracket to PASSENGER side head using the supplied 10-1.5mm bolts
3. Install catch can per instructions.
Won't catch any oil on the passenger side. Don't know what engine they wrote those instructions for. Air only circulates in one direction through the engine. That's what the PCV valve is for. Do a "catch can" search of this site. There are several pics of installed catch cans.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:37 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

From the GM manual:

Crankcase Ventilation System Description

A closed crankcase ventilation system is used in order to provide a more complete scavenging of the crankcase vapors. Fresh air from the throttle body is supplied to the crankcase, mixed with blow-by gases, and then passed through a crankcase ventilation valve into the intake manifold.

The primary control is through the crankcase ventilation valve which meters the flow at a rate depending on manifold vacuum. To maintain idle quality, the crankcase ventilation valve restricts the flow when intake manifold vacuum is high. If abnormal operating conditions arise, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow-by gases to back flow through the crankcase vent tube into the engine air inlet to be consumed by normal combustion.

Filtered fresh air is routed from up-stream of the throttle blade to the front of the right rocker arm cover via a formed rubber hose. To reduce the potential of oil pullover into the throttle bore area due to back flow of the ventilation system, the fitting in the right rocker arm cover is shielded from the rocker arms. From there fresh air and gases are routed through the crankcase and up to the opposite rocker arm cover where the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve is located. Gases are then routed through a hose to the intake manifold.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've looked everywhere I think of and the Jaz unit seems best for the buck. Small, has a filter/vent, a drain, and with the white one you can see the level of oil and it goes for about $45.

Opinions? Others?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought one from www.pingelonline.com part #62064 They sell motorcycle parts... all Harley I think. Polished, 6" tall by 2" diameter, nice petcock drain. $45 plus $10 shipping. No hoses, clamps and no bracket.

Last edited by JimS; 02-15-2006 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: PCV catch can questions...