Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled the PCV off the manifold and off the throttle body and let the truck idle for awhile. Still burning oil. Ran it up a little bit, oil cleared, brought it back to idle, after a minute or two it started smoking again. Looks like it's something else.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

valve seals?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Tootall
valve seals?
That's the next thing to check. I bought the heads brand new, assembled, from TSP, so I don't know why there would be a problem but I'll check it out anyway.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you pulled off the PVC hose, was it "steaming"? Was it pretty obvious that it was was a burnt oil smoke/steam coming out?

My brother had a 87 YJ, Jeep, and the carb was always clogging up, and there was so much blow by coming out of the PVC that we just ran an open hose to the ground and left it that way when it was sold. At 2,500-3,000 on the freeway, it was as if he was spraying for buggs out of that one pipe that was dumped. His was from either a cracked piston, or busted rings.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
High on diesel fumes

I didn't see anything coming out. When I pulled off the throttle body a couple days ago though there was a steam/mist/smoke inside that I had to wait to clear out before I could shine a light down in there.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

compression check? . . . maybe a ring let go? Vacumme lines all connected up ok?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to assume that the heads have been ported, and throw an idea out there. If the rings and valve seals are OK, is it possible that oil is leaking past the threads for the rocker arm bolts? I know that when I got my 317's back from WCCH, I could see straight through the bolt holes to the ports (can't remember if it was intake or exhaust ports...I think it was intake, and I don't have the heads with me). After some research and talking to Richard at WCCH, I found that this is common with certain GENIII heads, and that some form of sealer should be used on the rocker bolts (teflon, etc.).
Old 01-24-2007, 03:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'm going to assume that the heads have been ported, and throw an idea out there. If the rings and valve seals are OK, is it possible that oil is leaking past the threads for the rocker arm bolts? I know that when I got my 317's back from WCCH, I could see straight through the bolt holes to the ports (can't remember if it was intake or exhaust ports...I think it was intake, and I don't have the heads with me). After some research and talking to Richard at WCCH, I found that this is common with certain GENIII heads, and that some form of sealer should be used on the rocker bolts (teflon, etc.).
That's an interesting observation. I didn't look at the bolt holes, and yes they are ported LS6 heads. I'll have to check that out. I'm planning on pulling the springs to check the valve seals as soon as I have time, so I'll make sure to do the bolt holes at the same time.

*edit* I just talked to TSP and they said the bolt holes do go all the way through.

Last edited by thunder550; 01-24-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Tootall
compression check? . . . maybe a ring let go? Vacumme lines all connected up ok?
I have a comp tester, just have been to lazy to use it yet. Vacuum lines are all good.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

What about that fuel line that Quick talked about with his setup? He said something about his being a little foggy at high RPMs. I really can't remember what his problem was with it, or how it was solved.

Quick Reply: PCV question