Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

PCV & Radix Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me tell you something very very important about what i was looking for ...... i needed something that would give me more power yet quiet and easy to live with in everyday driving situations....i mean i wanted something that sounds and drives just like a stock truck of the showroom floor but with alot more power....

well... thats exactly what i got with the radix....

the best thing i like about this charger is when i have people in the truck they dont even know its there unless i tell them... very normal idle,sound and driving feel ...but when in boost you hear the coolest most satisfiying supercharger wine you will ever hear in your life...sounds exactly like a jet fighter passing by you

yes i put the foam in the fender at the time of the install i have the drop in K&N filter that came with the charger

about the boost well i can get up to any speed i want with out even going into boost at all... the boost is there only when you want it....

about MPG im not sure its been so long i dont remember what it was like pre-radix but i think my MPG is same as stock

all i have is headers and catback and e-fans i dynod 373HP and 401 torque to the wheel.....the funny thing is i had the owner of the dyno shop drive my truck before the dyno session he did couple WOT, i asked him what do you think she will dyno at and he said 400-450 HP.

i have 2k ECSB z71, 3.73, 4x4, silverado
Old 06-19-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Heh...

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
1) 18 Hwy 15 Street. Why would you call it a lie?
...a joke we use at work.

BlownChevy, what do you think of the less than 400 HP dyno numbers posted here. Could it be the Nitto's?

Thanks "Black 5.3".
You guys keep it coming. I guess I have been kind of a newbee pain on this Radix thing but as I wait for the funds it's killing me. The replies here have been what I was looking for. Close to stock radix trucks.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

1) 18 Hwy 15 Street. Why would you call it a lie?
2) 148 is my record. Boost only comes on if there is a load.
3) Yes
4) 3:73....maybe 4:10 someday
5) The best, California
6) Yes 417/448
7) No
8) 91
10) Cam, after number 6
11) Nitto 404

We don't have any roads here that I would even try that kind of speed on! Most of the roads here either look like the aftermath of a war, or under construction of some type. The most I've been able to see is 120, but even that's dodging potholes, and dead deer.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
...a joke we use at work.

BlownChevy, what do you think of the less than 400 HP dyno numbers posted here. Could it be the Nitto's?

Thanks "Black 5.3".
You guys keep it coming. I guess I have been kind of a newbee pain on this Radix thing but as I wait for the funds it's killing me. The replies here have been what I was looking for. Close to stock radix trucks.

Bottom line.......

EVERY DYNO IS DIFFERENT! Dont look at the big number, look at the % of gain. Base line your truck, then test it again after the Radix install That will show you the true gain.

375-390 is about the norm from a radix install, I made 390 on Magnaflows dyno and backed it up with a 417 on our dyno. The difference could have been as simple as ambient air temps, or just the fact I we are located about a half a mile from the beach. Maybe I got some good gas that day, who knows......

Baseline, and Test....
Old 06-19-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bottom line.......

EVERY DYNO IS DIFFERENT! Dont look at the big number, look at the % of gain. Base line your truck, then test it again after the Radix install That will show you the true gain.

375-390 is about the norm from a radix install, I made 390 on Magnaflows dyno and backed it up with a 417 on our dyno. The difference could have been as simple as ambient air temps, or just the fact I we are located about a half a mile from the beach. Maybe I got some good gas that day, who knows......

Baseline, and Test....
Yeah....when we did the before, and after dyno at Vinci's it was 84 deg. for the baseline, and 112 deg. for the later run. The actual numbers weren't too impressive because of the heat, and humidity, but the % of gain indicated a 20hp increase. That was before, and after the rocker install.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:22 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just as skeptical about the Radix before I owned one. Had I not found a used Radix, I highly doubt that I would have one now. But.... Now that I put the Radix on, I really love it. We all know the high power it can put down, but the best thing about it is the part throttle driving. 1/2 throttle accelleration RULES! Instant torque at your control. For any daily driver, it really makes driving truck much better.

My truck is highly modded, but its still seeing 14 in city and near 17 on the freeway when keep my foot out of it. Even with my high compression engine, it runs great. No abnormal in-cab noise except with heavy accelleration, you'll hear the compressor. Honestly, that noise is mild and pleasant and will bring a smile to your face. No spray in foam dampener used and I run 93 octane.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:24 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, people get so caught up in HP peak numbers, but the Radix does wonders for the complete rpm range. Off idle to the rev limiter, torque increases will be significant. Its just what a heavy excab 4wd truck needs.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thanks Guys....

...I'm not really skeptical, or say no more than the average Joe consumer about to lay out 5k.
I am also very mechanical and realize the variances that can factor in differences.
For sure the Radix has an excellent reputation.
I tend to dwell on my projects in my mind until they are done and usually come up with all kinds of questions for research purposes.
This thread has really hit home. If there are more of you out there bring it. This thread will be a nice search results for those like me, new to the Radix thing.
I'll be concentrating more on preparing the trans, looking for an installer and price shopping in the week(s) to come.
I'll be answering my PM's Monday.

Thanks Again
Old 06-19-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by therock
...guys with this kind of info!
I've been looking for a ride in a non-heavily modded Radix'd truck without luck, but your application is the next best thing.
You say totally Stock? No K&N? CatBack?
That is all I will have done to mine, the K&N and Corsa Touring.

I have some questions or call it a survey. I hope you will be so kind...

1. Can I get your report on the most lied about thing on the planet "MPG"!
Say before and after? City and Highway.
2. What is the top speed you can cruise on the freeway without boost?
3. Are you intercooled?
4. What gears are you running?
5. What part of the country are you in?
6. Have you had it on a Dyno?
7. Did you use the spray foam noise dampener in the passenger fender?
8. Tell us about the in-cab noise at cruise?
9. What Octane?
10. Any mods at all?
11. What kind of tires do you have.

Thank You...
1: 20 -22 hwy, 17ish city, overall 18-19
2: Can't answer. Handling gets unstable at 85 mph
3: yes
4: 3.73
5: WA state
6: yes, 240 rwhp before, 312 after. I think one or the other numbers are messed up though
7: no
8: Mine has a deeper growl since I have a 4.8, and at low rpm's it sounds like a sick cow. Not objectionably loud though. About as loud as a Chevy manual tranny from the 1960's which has whine in the lower gears.
9: 92 octane
10: JBA shorties, had a F***master 70 muffler at time of 2nd dyno, replaced with Magnaflow, much better, e-fans with Delta control, Line-X and canopy (reason it handles so bad).
11: stock (don't know what they are).

More info: Truck weighs 5000 lbs according to scale at yard waste dump site. Have made several 0 - 60 runs using HPTuners to time, and launching in 4WD to prevent wheel spin. Can consistently do it in 5.7 sec., did one in 5.5 sec. Truck feels just like it has a 454 Rat motor in it.