Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

pcv valve responsibel for missfire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv valve responsibel for missfire?

well,, as you guys all know, nubers 2 and 7 are missfiring on my truck, and today, i took off the aux injectors so i could look in my intake manifold.. and there is oil seeming to be everywhere inside,,, not puddled, but all over the top and kinda drippy in the corners. any thoughts on this? also there is a small plactic hose attacted to the top of the intake right behind the opening of the intake, i noticed the other day that i could hear it making a ticking sound. i never noticed it till about a month ago
Old 04-14-2004, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I suppose if they aren't doing what they are suppose to they could be letting oil by, if not misfiring, they would definantly be hurting your performance.

It's worth a try ...

I didn't notice it missing at the track the other day. I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't tell me about it again.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your oil level in the whipple. I had an internal seal go in one of mine and it was dumping oil in the intake. I didnt catch it soon enough and it ruined the charger.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're boosting then your PCV system isnt even working like its supposed to anymore. What you should do is re-route the hose into a catch can and then ahead of the blower so its seeing negative instead of positive pressure and the oil is being filtered out of the airstream. And yes, oil vapor has a lower octane than gasoline, so it very well could be why you are seeing detonation or poor performance.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

i took a flashlight and looked into the intake manifold today,,, and low and behold, a big puddle of oil all the way in the back. can anyone tell me, is the pcv the pipe all the way on top of the inlet of the manifold?

and flyer,, i knew you didnt hear the missfire the other day, i could tell bye the look on your face you didnt see anything wrong, i should of let you sit in the seat with the truck putting along at idle,, the whole truck jerks back and forth. lol, plus with the muffler missing, the loudness overwhelmed the missfire. lol

Let me know what you guys think,,, is there any other pipes that could dump oil into the intake. and it looked and smelt like motor oil, not the whipple oil, plus there was alot of it.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

the pcv is the one toward the back on the driver side that goes from the drive valve cover to the top of the intake. there is another line from the pass valve cover to the tb but i checked this regularly and never saw oil when i was trying to figure my prob out.

i will look and see if i have a pic of my catch can setup but i dont think i do.

also like stated above i was told that when running boost you are now pressuring you crank case rather than vacume. i dont know if the wipple re routs this or not. but like stated above i was told that you need to plumb the pcv in befor your charger so you get the vacume back.

i will eventualy get a vacume pump and ditch the pcv totaly and just run a breather on the valve cover. if i was told correctly a vacume on a motor helps the rings seal but i am not sure on that.

another thing is you can change to a ls6 valley cover.

hope this helps a bit i was playing with the pcv sys for a little bit and was wasting 4 oz.of oil a day but it was mainly my valve covers.

sorry so long
Old 04-15-2004, 12:51 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes PCV attaches to the top of the intake, and the PCV valve is the little bung on the other end that fits into the top of the valve cover. The opposite valve cover has the other side of the PCV system, then draws fresh air from the throttle body.

The PCV system is supposed to be sucking air from the intake under vacuum from one valvve cover. The air pulls through the block to the opposite head, when its hose gets fresh air from the intake before the throttle body, which is not under vacuum. THis is a sealed air system, where the air pulled into the PCV has already been filtered and metered by the MAF.

Under Boost, you aare blowing air from the manifold, through the block, and out the opposite tube into the intake at the throttle body. My whipple did the same thing. I tried a catch can, but what you really need is a check valve. That will let PCV work correctly under vac pressure, but block it off under boost and keep it from flowing the other direction.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

the piece im talking about, has a some wires attacted to the side of the unit wich is bolted to the intake, are we talking about the same piece?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:10 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCV is nothing more than a hose and round metal valve. On the drivers valve cover (pass side if you had to swap them), the actual PCV valve is supposed to be pushed into the round hole on top of the valve cover. This hose connects the the very top of the intake and the hose itself is usually covered in black foam. The other valve cover has a metal barb where the rubber hose connects, this hose goes the the metal elbow pipe coming off the TB. No wires, nothing fancy. Basically the PCV (positive crankcase ventillation) system is nothing more than two hoses and a little round metal valve.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

well,, then this is not were i think the oil might be coming from then, here are a couple pics

first is of the inside of the intake, the other is the where i think the problem might be coming from. i pulled the hose off the top of where the pcv valve hose hooks into the manifold,, it was bone dry.
Attached Thumbnails pcv valve responsibel for missfire?-april-14-002.jpg   pcv valve responsibel for missfire?-april-14-011.jpg  

Quick Reply: pcv valve responsibel for missfire?