Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Pics/Instructions on 99 water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics/Instructions on 99 water pump replacement

Hey guys,

I have a major leak due to my water pump gasket. The truck is bone stock and don't think the original owner had replaced anything. So instead of just replacing the water pump gasket, I'm going to replace the entire water pump. I've never done this and was wondering if you guys had any pics and/or special instructions on the easiest way to do this. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

no pictures but its pretty much straight forward. take off the fan shroud and clutch fan. Then unbolt the waterpump. Make sure the old gaskets come off of the block. Bolt new waterpump on. Thread the fan back on. Fill the coolant back up to proper level. After youre sure everything is fine, put the shroud back on.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Sweet! Hopefully it goes that smooth...
Old 06-08-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I did a friend's truck in a little over an hour. You might as well pick up new bolts at the dealer if you're going for a new pump. My friend's leak started as a slow drip and it had corroded two of the bolts pretty bad.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

EDIT

Why talk about it. Let's DO IT!

Reference photos. Left and right side bolts for removal of the water pump.
Remember to take your heater hoses off the side.
Clean the surfaces of the block and water pump, then lay your gaskets on the pump. Lay the pump on its side, and slide your bolts through the mounting holes to hold the gasket in place.
Carefully lift up the pump, bolts, and new gasket and place up towards the block. Carefully thread in a few bolts and then slide the pump up towards the block and snug down the bolts by hand.
1st Pass: 15Nm
2nd Pass: 30Nm
C
Attached Thumbnails Pics/Instructions on 99 water pump replacement-leftboltsr.jpg   Pics/Instructions on 99 water pump replacement-rightboltsr.jpg  

Last edited by TrickyTransAm; 06-10-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Ok, am I an idiot or is it really not that hard to get the fan off? I've got almost everything off and I can't for the life of me get that detached from the water pump. Can anybody explain?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had to get a decent size hammer and put your wrench on the fan nut and hit the wrench one good time and it spins right off...
Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

or, the whole assembly just spins.... the belt might not hold enough tension on the pulley. since yours is a 99.. it might be on there pretty good. as it was on my 99. i couldnt even get a strap wrench to work. im sure if i had a proper one it would have.but anyway, since you`re replacing the pump, damaging the pulley wont be an issue. i just ended up clamping some vise grips on the pulley, it wedged itself against the pump, and i was finally able to break it loose.it could come off easily, but it can be a bitch as well.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow.8
or, the whole assembly just spins.... the belt might not hold enough tension on the pulley. since yours is a 99.. it might be on there pretty good. as it was on my 99. i couldnt even get a strap wrench to work. im sure if i had a proper one it would have.but anyway, since you`re replacing the pump, damaging the pulley wont be an issue. i just ended up clamping some vise grips on the pulley, it wedged itself against the pump, and i was finally able to break it loose.it could come off easily, but it can be a bitch as well.
I'm trying this, and it's still a bitch to get off. The f'n thing is not budging. I tried heating it up for a couple minutes, but to no avail. I guess I'll keep plugging away at it. This sucks!!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, did you get that thing off yet... or what?

Quick Reply: Pics/Instructions on 99 water pump replacement