Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Pics of new exhaust and fuel cell.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of new exhaust and fuel cell.

Not quite finished yet but these pics show the new exhaust and fuel cell pics with measurements of the fuel cell shown.

www.swardphotos.shutterfly.com

The new pics are numbers 25 thru 48. Click on View Pictures, scroll ahead a couple of pages and then click on a pic to see it larger. Then you can scroll through the rest of them.

Still have to hook up the braided fuel lines as well as the fuel pump wiring and the Fuel Pump controller wiring.

The fuel pump controller added almost $300 to the cost of the build but is necessary because the high performance fuel pump moves so much fuel at such high speeds that the fuel gets hot after extended operation and can cause vapor lock. The pump controller reads rpm and vacumn and when "cruising" down the road the pump slows down the rate at which the fuel is pumped and consequently the fuel stays cooler. I'd never heard of such a thing! When I was first recommended to get the fuel pump controller I thought it was a marketing ploy but it's a really cool answer to what was a problem for street hot rodders. Live and learn!

The fuel cell filler will be inside the bed just inside the tailgate on the drivers side. The fuel pump controller will be next to it mounted on the bed side.

The old fuel filler door will be welded shut next month when we do some needed body work.

I'll post up final pics when it's all done but I know that some are wanting to do fuel cells so I thought I'd get these up now. Hope they are useful and I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas.

Grandpa's having fun!

Last edited by JimS; 12-16-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Are those cut outs new? I used the same one for about a year when it started to hang. Then one day it would not close. I hope you have better luck.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks real good. fine job.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fuel cell going to hang that low when it is all mounted up? Is that two fuel filters?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! Is there a check valve in your setup to prevent long cranks?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the cut outs is new the other I've had for several months with no problems.

The fuel cell does not hang as low as it looks. I took the pic from a bad angle but it does hang down about 1.5" below the roll pan. Yep.. two filters. A pre pump and a post pump filter. They get you coming and going. ROTFLMFAO

Dr. X... I don't have any idea what long cranks refers to and I don't believe there is a check valve in the set up. Truth be told I don't know what a check valve is either.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The in-tank pumps have a one way valve in the outlet of the pump to prevent the rails from drainining back into the tank when the system is off. With your new pump you will likely have to turn the key off and on a couple of times to pressurize the rails before cranking the engine. The system won't hold pressure like stock even with a check valve if you have an aftermarket regulator, but it will be easier to start. I guess it also helps that your pump is under the fuel cell so there will always be fuel in the line to the pump.

I purchased 2 Earls check valves and both sprayed fuel every where when pressurized. Finally got them to seal up. I drove without one in the meantime. Definitely better with it. I would look at a different brand though, if available.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why two of them? It does sound like a good idea that I need to check out.

I'll be using the stock regulator. Hope that works ok.

While I've got your ear.... when we built the fuel cell we did not put in the fuel tank fuel pressure sensor. That 3 wire plug that went into the top of the fuel tank will go unused. I assume I'll get a code and wonder if there is a way to turn that sensor off in HP tuning.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Russels makes a check valve. Ill look in my Russels catalog tomorrow, I need to run one too for my fuel rail setup.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered an Aeromotive check valve from Summitt. Thanks for the tip!

The only problem is that it does not color match the rest of the stuff in the fuel system. It's black anodized and the rest is red anodized. Kinda like one brown and one black sock. What will my friends say? How can I show my face in public?! Oh the shame of it!

The check valve installs just after the post pump filter I gather. ?

Last edited by JimS; 12-14-2006 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Pics of new exhaust and fuel cell.