Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Plans for my Avalanche- let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans for my Avalanche- let me know what you think

Hello-

I've been lurking this site and ls1truck for a while now and have gathered A LOT of information. Based on my readings, and the direction I'd like to take my truck, I think I've got a pretty good idea what my plans are for it. However, before I start ripping into it, I'd like everyone's advice.

I'm looking to stay NA (for now) because I know boost is addicting and it's not in the funds as of now. Just looking to get this heavy azz truck moving off the line a bit quicker...and still be able to tow occasionally.

So far...
K&N intake
Borla catback exhaust
Hotchkiss sway bars
3.73 gears

This is what I have planned...
Flex-A-Lite E-fans
Transgo HD2 shift kit
vette servos
hardened seperator plate
TC- 2600-2800 stall- ???
cam- 212/218 .558/.563 114LSA-???
PAC1218 springs- ???
hardened push rods
ARH LT headers w/cat Y-pipe
need cats for NJ inspection
Last but not least- TUNE

Truck has 80,000mi and I have maintained it religiously with all synthetic fluids. It has not been beat on at all. Not sure if the valve springs and pushrods are necessary with the miles I have.

Please let me know what everyone thinks and if you have any suggestions. Thank you and sorry for the long post.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deff. a good base for any more mods in the future, should do you good
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like a pretty good list to me. If you are already going into the tranny for the HD2 & servos you might want to consider replacing the plastic accumulator pistons with aluminum. A Beast sunshell wouldn't cost a whole lot either and it would add a little more peace of mind. 4.10s help a lot getting off the line without sacrificing a lot on gas mileage. That's the extent of my suggestions.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Launching!

definately do the springs and pushrods with cam swap. its a necessity no matter what the mileage. springs have to match the cam and one piece pushrods are lighter and stronger than the stock three piece pressed together pushrods. but over all, a very well thought out plan.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey neighbor, welcome to the site Looks like you've been doing your homework, that list should make for a nice stout daily driver...seems like a well matched setup. As for the fans, I've been running the 05 truck efans since their inception with great results We have sponsors (BlackBear and Nelson) that sell plug and play efan harnesses (1 pin and 2 pin), who also do the tuning that you mentioned, and can have the PCM control the fan operation. BTW, the 05 e-fans will require a larger 34" radiator which is relatively inexpensive and readily available. Just another option to the Flex-a-Lites

I'd give Chris at Circle-D a call about your torque converter options depending on how crazy your future modding might get, they offer converters that range from modified trailblazer converters up to indestructible billet multi disc converters (one of which I will be stabbing into my ride in about a week and a half )
Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

dont forget to change your lifters as well! x2 on the 410's
Old 05-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Teching In

for the 05 efans all you will need is the fans and a harness. I have an 02 avalanche and it came stock with the 34" radiator.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by regcabls6
dont forget to change your lifters as well! x2 on the 410's
He'd have to pull the heads to do the lifters, which are roller lifters anyway so it's not necessary to replace them with a cam swap...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses guys- really appreciated.

Avalanche2002- I spoke to my trans guy and he said he was going to do a full rebuild on it and change all the weak components. He's been working on trans for 25+ years and I trust him with it, but thank you for the advice.

acethedragon- Just picked up a set of PAC1218 springs on the for sale section on here I will be looking for the pushrods next.

budhayes3- I've read a lot about the 05 fans and I've gotten mixed reviews when putting them in the Av, so I'm hesitant on going that route. I know the Flex-a-lites had their issues with their VCM but that has since been resolved and I haven't heard of any issues with those, so that's why I'd choose them for piece of mind.

As for the 4.10 gears- I'd love to do them with a Trutrac, but I have to see if it fits in the "budget" and if I can convince the wife.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

BTW- this is what comp cams suggested for a cam...

Part #: 54-000-11

Grind #: 3751R/3752R HR112+2

Duration @.050": 212/218

Lift w/ 1.7 Ratio: .522/.529

LSA: 112

Advance in cam: +2

Quick Reply: Plans for my Avalanche- let me know what you think