Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im going 80e and trust me its from a firm hard shift not slipping but thats not my concern as i know first hand a tune will fix it.

so im pretty sure im gonna go the single 3 inch route with cut out. good low end for mpg then wide open for hauling. it just sucks i gotta wait till my ss wheels sell to fund this project and untill then i now have a catless tru dual with only bullets exhuast... deff gonna get a ticket and sound like a pile of garbage going down the road
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sure it can, and it does. But a $600 junkyard 80e with a $100 shift kit is proven to be in the 10s (Parish via PM). I'd like to see a 60e do that. I'd also like to see a 60e tow around 20,000lbs on a consistent basis.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

it just makes no sense though. my buddys 02 camaro with lid, long tubes, dual 2.5 inch piping to some bullets dumped sounds sickk. but my truck sounds like garbage. is it cause of the sotck manifolds or maybe theres a big exhuast leak somewhere i cant find i have someone rev it up wehile i feel around.

do you think the stock tune affects this is anyway? idk know how. i notice theres some smoke now when i floor it unlike before the cats were taken out and it smells like gas bad idling
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The stock tune is rich, and you've got no cats. You'll fume up the entire vicinity around the truck lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

lol i figured this. so someone buy my SS wheels and let me get this fixed you cant let a follow member roll around like this
Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to update the info on the Corsa, the cat-back system for the Silverado SS is a single inlet/single outlet kit. The full catback system comes with a y-pipe that bolts up where the factory pipes run parallel on the passenger side of the truck. The corsa will get rid of some of the crackling noise youre talking about but id suggest putting some hi flow cats back in place of the stock ones, thats your best bet to get rid of the nasty sound at WOT. Im running dual magnaflows on my SS with gutted cats and the stock tail pipe and its the best sounding exhaust ive heard on there, in my opinion...and ive gone through 4 different exhaust setups since ive had the truck you could say im pretty damn picky about what my truck sounds like.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
The stock tune is rich, and you've got no cats. You'll fume up the entire vicinity around the truck lol.
Chicken Dinner

You need to tune for your exhaust. the loud horrific bang/pop/crackle is fuel igniting in the pipes.
When I put my LT's and Y pipe on I hooked the muffler on right behind them until I could get a midpipe bent and it did that same thing. sound AWEFUL on the shift.
Finished with the mid pipe and got it retuned and the problem went away. I had read some where that the Tq Management contributes to the sound by pulling the timing on the shift.

The first time mine did that I thought something blew up.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

ya no doubt. but it does it around 2500 to 3000 real bad also. im gonna get my long tubes on and hook my factory mid pipe to them for now and save the y pipe for when i get cash flow for a corsa. i went this morning and had the magnaflow welded back on to tame it so its doable for right now.

i hope long tube, tune, CAI and t-stat wake this bad boy up. my gf's sisters b/f is getting a TL type s and i already bet i would beat him lol and he plans on supercharging it within next month so i gotta do work
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

The term "built 60e" is an oxymoron to me, but that's just my opinion on the matter.
I hope you're wrong. The probability of a 60E breaking is there, but there are plenty of guys putting good power through their 60E's. Everyone forgets that there are more 60E's running around out there than 80E's, which helps contribute to why you hear of more of them breaking than 80E's.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure it can, and it does. But a $600 junkyard 80e with a $100 shift kit is proven to be in the 10s (Parish via PM). I'd like to see a 60e do that. I'd also like to see a 60e tow around 20,000lbs on a consistent basis.
Built408's 4l60e went 10s a lot of times.

and it's the downshifts that kill 60e's.