Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Please help me beat a stock 2v mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the minimum that I would recommend. Also a fuel pressure gauge is good to have but not necessary on a na build. And you def want an in person/ Dyno tune
Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that could def be a issue. I would have figured that the tuner would have questioned the fuel system. Isn't that something that is on the form you do when you buy a tune? I know I had to give that info.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndysC3
I bet your running out of injector. I have a set if 65# injectors and a Bosch 044 pump and filter if your interested. Alittle overkill for your setup though
pm me details on it please

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Kelsey's question is what I was going to ask. Pump & injectors, what are you running. Stock is not at all adequate for your setup. Time to step up.

Is your tune a mail-order, or a dyno/street tune? Mail-order is no bueno.
yes the tune was done by nelson via mail. So im currently looking for the most reputable tuner localy

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
Upgrade fuel system, install wideband and get a scanner = prosper. I'm not trying to push products either. A scanner and a wideband can pay for itself many times over with diagnostics.

yeah ive been actually looking into one already, are there any out there that are better than otheres? my brother has a high dollar snap on sacnner that will keep me from spending money on one.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Well that could def be a issue. I would have figured that the tuner would have questioned the fuel system. Isn't that something that is on the form you do when you buy a tune? I know I had to give that info.
its been a while since i filled out that from i don't recall if i had to fill it out or not i'm going to address the fuel issue before i send it back to nelson one more time.

okay so it looks like immediate issues to be addressed are.

1)better injectors- would 8.1 injectors be enough for my set up?
2)fuel pump- what is everyone running with success
3)wideband- ive been actually thinking of getting one and the fact it got brought up just reassures things.
4)tune- like i stated before i will try nelson one more time but i will look into getting a in person tune
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Also what would you guys recommend as far the spark plugs go in running ac delco 41-110s gaped at .040
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LQ4JOSE
pm me details on it please

yes the tune was done by nelson via mail. So im currently looking for the most reputable tuner localy

yeah ive been actually looking into one already, are there any out there that are better than otheres? my brother has a high dollar snap on sacnner that will keep me from spending money on one.

its been a while since i filled out that from i don't recall if i had to fill it out or not i'm going to address the fuel issue before i send it back to nelson one more time.

okay so it looks like immediate issues to be addressed are.

1)better injectors- would 8.1 injectors be enough for my set up?
2)fuel pump- what is everyone running with success
3)wideband- ive been actually thinking of getting one and the fact it got brought up just reassures things.
4)tune- like i stated before i will try nelson one more time but i will look into getting a in person tune
IMO, I would opt for buying hptuners. I got the standard version for 500 And it came with enough credits to do 4 or 5 vehicles. I tuned my truck and charged a few people to tune their bolt on trucks once I got used to tuning. The tuner paid for itself, and I still use the scanner for all kind of diagnostics. Just buying that would eliminate a need for a tune and a scanner.

I use an innovative lc1 wideband, but there are many good ones out there. I'm happy with mine. Also, I'm not the best with fuel systems, but I would think a 255lphpump and 42lb injectors would be adequate.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The innovate WB is good. Also I like my auto meter WB. PLX also makes a good one. I would run STOCK ngk plugs, tighten the gap up to 30ish. The marine injectors should be enough for your set up. Your stock fuel pump should be enough for your set up. If you plan to stay with that set up, that should fill the FP issue. You could also run a walbro 255 in line for safe measure, or if you have time, drop the tank and put big one in the tank
Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Based on your chart it looks like it starts loosing steam at 5400rpm. That cam should pull higher and stronger then that unless your lean. If you are lean it may be pulling timing also. As already mentioned stock injectors are damn near maxed on a 6.0 anyway let alone with your mods. I think you need more fuel my friend.

From 5400-6000 you should gain way more then 8-10hp with that cam.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4JOSE
I agree the fuel system is not up to the task... but there are other serious issues going on here. peaking at 230 tq is not a result of a lacking fuel system. Even if the fuel system isnt up to the task it will still handle everything a cammed motor has to throw at it until 4k... and this engine should be making MUCH MUCH more power at even 3500 than when it peaked at 5300.

My 4x4 crew cab with a smaller cam, and a tiny *** 2600 converter will post better times and a matching MPH of a mostly stock 2v mustang... ive gone 13.7 at 99 MPH. Similar set ups in a truck like yours should be good for 12's.

Is your 6L even any faster than your stock engine was? It should be making almost literally twice the power.

it looks like the way my buddies SS felt running on a stock tune after a cam/header/exhaust install... I think it literally lost power, but once tuned he grabbed the near 100 that the tuned combo should have been worth.

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 06-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
IMO, I would opt for buying hptuners. I got the standard version for 500 And it came with enough credits to do 4 or 5 vehicles. I tuned my truck and charged a few people to tune their bolt on trucks once I got used to tuning. The tuner paid for itself, and I still use the scanner for all kind of diagnostics. Just buying that would eliminate a need for a tune and a scanner.

I use an innovative lc1 wideband, but there are many good ones out there. I'm happy with mine. Also, I'm not the best with fuel systems, but I would think a 255lphpump and 42lb injectors would be adequate.
well i'm not too sure that i will be able to even operate hp tuners enough/properly to get my $500 worth out of it. i would hate to spend that cash and then later on still have to pay someone to tune my truck for me.

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
I agree the fuel system is not up to the task... but there are other serious issues going on here. peaking at 230 tq is not a result of a lacking fuel system. Even if the fuel system isnt up to the task it will still handle everything a cammed motor has to throw at it until 4k... and this engine should be making MUCH MUCH more power at even 3500 than when it peaked at 5300.

My 4x4 crew cab with a smaller cam, and a tiny *** 2600 converter will post better times and a matching MPH of a mostly stock 2v mustang... ive gone 13.7 at 99 MPH. Similar set ups in a truck like yours should be good for 12's.

Is your 6L even any faster than your stock engine was? It should be making almost literally twice the power.

it looks like the way my buddies SS felt running on a stock tune after a cam/header/exhaust install... I think it literally lost power, but once tuned he grabbed the near 100 that the tuned combo should have been worth.

ireally do hope my it gains that kind of power when i get my tune straightened out.well i bought the truck as a roller so i never had anything to compare it to. im glad there are people out there making power with some what similar mods in heavier trucks. that gives me hope for when i get mine straightened out.

as far as the the fuel pump goes, im going to spend the money on a intank one since i have access to a lift, dropping the tank would be a piece of cake and i really don't know how long that pump has been in there so it would be preventive maintenance as well. and ill buy stock ngk plugs and gap them as mangled recommended, ill be off early tomorrow so ill try to knock them out tomorrow, and ill also have pics of the old plugs for reference as well.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Did youo order your nelson tune? Did you order it for all the mods? you should think about having a tune done at a local shop with a dyno who really knows what they are doing as everyone else has suggested. You should be making over 400 HP at the wheels with those mods fairly easily... but until you get your fuel system figured out I wouldn't even bother wasting the money for dyno time... it will all have to be redone. A walbro 255 should do it for the pump... and I'm not sure, but I would guess 42# injectors would do the trick. You want marine 8.1 injectors.

Good god its going to feel scary fast if you think it runs well making 240 at the wheels... it will make literally almost 200 HP more when its running right. I'd look into an intake manifold swap with the RPM's you will be turning with that 6.0. You will see great gains up top.

Quick Reply: Please help me beat a stock 2v mustang