Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Please help me beat a stock 2v mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Did youo order your nelson tune? Did you order it for all the mods? you should think about having a tune done at a local shop with a dyno who really knows what they are doing as everyone else has suggested. You should be making over 400 HP at the wheels with those mods fairly easily... but until you get your fuel system figured out I wouldn't even bother wasting the money for dyno time... it will all have to be redone. A walbro 255 should do it for the pump... and I'm not sure, but I would guess 42# injectors would do the trick. You want marine 8.1 injectors.

Good god its going to feel scary fast if you think it runs well making 240 at the wheels... it will make literally almost 200 HP more when its running right. I'd look into an intake manifold swap with the RPM's you will be turning with that 6.0. You will see great gains up top.
yeah i ordered the tune fro the all the mods, but i called nelson today and they had my tire size and gear all messed up so im sure that effects the shift points.

well today i changed the plugs and noticed they were really black like the picture shows in the pic it looks like they're oily but they're actually pretty dry just look like they have a lot of carbon build up. does that sound right? my truck smells like its running pretty rick could that cause it?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea that looks rich and possibly really low timing with the brown mark on the strap.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Judging from that dyno graph, you have some other issues going on. The waviness of your hp curve would indicate an ignition or valvetrain issue. What kind of valvesprings are you running and how many miles on them? If they have alot of miles they could be too weak to control the valves causing it to break up at higher rpm. That MS3 cam has alot of lift so it requires a good spring to control the valves. Are you getting any codes thrown? You really need to get a scanner on it and do some data logging.

My. 02.

Mike
Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

with my stock injectors in efi live it said my duty cycles where at 98% at 6100 rpms, i then upgraded to marine 8.1 (42 lbs) it lowered those numbers to 63 ish % and that is with the mods in sig

I had to get three tunes from nelson to get it right my high rpms where about 13.4 afr which is i guess lean for my setup, he managed to get me down to 12.9-13.0 constant. which the truck ran awesome after that. Mail order tunes can be a pain nelson is awesome with working with people- but he is a busy man and have to wait sometimes

your tire size and gear IMO seem more drag getting it from a dig to your 1/8 or 1/4 time. you shouldnt pull hard up top with a higher speed, if those gears where lower i believe it would pull way stronger up top for you but youll loose your launch from a dig some, but like i said thats my opinion. I noticed huge diff from going from 3.42 to 3.73 on the top end. Im going back to 3.42 seeing i added a mp 122 and keep blowing the tires off from a dig
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea stock injectors dont go far. Mine were at 104% with the LQ4 and just a Isky 215 .566 114lsa cam. with stock intake and exhaust.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
yea that looks rich and possibly really low timing with the brown mark on the strap.

yeah i thought that brown mark looked weird but im no expert when it comes to this im more of a parts changer unfortunately..

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Judging from that dyno graph, you have some other issues going on. The waviness of your hp curve would indicate an ignition or valvetrain issue. What kind of valvesprings are you running and how many miles on them? If they have alot of miles they could be too weak to control the valves causing it to break up at higher rpm. That MS3 cam has alot of lift so it requires a good spring to control the valves. Are you getting any codes thrown? You really need to get a scanner on it and do some data logging.

My. 02.

Mike
well im actually glad you mentioned it. i completely forgot to mention ive been fighting 2 ks codes fro a while now (p0332,p0327) ive replaced the knock sensors and the harness and i cant get rid of them im gonna pull them again and make sure they are torqued correctly.

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
with my stock injectors in efi live it said my duty cycles where at 98% at 6100 rpms, i then upgraded to marine 8.1 (42 lbs) it lowered those numbers to 63 ish % and that is with the mods in sig

I had to get three tunes from nelson to get it right my high rpms where about 13.4 afr which is i guess lean for my setup, he managed to get me down to 12.9-13.0 constant. which the truck ran awesome after that. Mail order tunes can be a pain nelson is awesome with working with people- but he is a busy man and have to wait sometimes

your tire size and gear IMO seem more drag getting it from a dig to your 1/8 or 1/4 time. you shouldnt pull hard up top with a higher speed, if those gears where lower i believe it would pull way stronger up top for you but youll loose your launch from a dig some, but like i said thats my opinion. I noticed huge diff from going from 3.42 to 3.73 on the top end. Im going back to 3.42 seeing i added a mp 122 and keep blowing the tires off from a dig

yeah i was talking to the lady at nelsons today and she was very nice and helpful over the phone but i had to get her some more info and by the time i called back she would nor pick the phone up/

yeah i really wanted it to be set up for an eight mile due to the fact that the only track around here is a 1/8

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Yea stock injectors dont go far. Mine were at 104% with the LQ4 and just a Isky 215 .566 114lsa cam. with stock intake and exhaust.
wow i guess really need to look into those marine injectors. before i get a retune
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea unless yours is flex fuel stock injectors dont get you far.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LQ4JOSE
well im actually glad you mentioned it. i completely forgot to mention ive been fighting 2 ks codes fro a while now (p0332,p0327) ive replaced the knock sensors and the harness and i cant get rid of them im gonna pull them again and make sure they are torqued correctly.
You need to get those codes taken care of before you do anything else. The knock sensors control ignition timing and will not be able to control pre-ignition knock. With those codes the pcm will set the timing in a "safe" mode. This is probably the sole reason for your loss of power. Just noticed that you replaced the KS harness which is usually the cause of those codes, did you replace it with a new one or used? It could also be low voltage? Check your grounds also.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 06-14-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea KS codes will give you extremely low timing.
my tahoe goes to -10* and ramps up to 15* by the shift.. so yea it sucks.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Now we're getting somewhere

Quick Reply: Please help me beat a stock 2v mustang