Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

please help me diagnose my trucks problems....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please help me diagnose my trucks problems....

recently my truck has been making some really funny noises and i'm not sure what it is that's making the noises.

1-when i put the truck in 4wd and turn the wheel the truck will not move at all, is this normal? then when i give it some gas, the whole truck lunges like a dragster then when i let off the gas, and am not even touching the brakes the truck comes to a complete halt.

2-when i am driving there is a LOT od road noise, it sounds like i am running MT tires, when i am currently running normal radials. the sound comes from the front of the truck leading me to believe that it is the front differential.

3-when going in reverse, there is a intermittent but consistent squeek when the truck goes about 6-7 feet in distance, each 6-7 feet it makes the same noise...leading me to believe it may be driveshaft related...

4-when i am going 40mph and put the truck in 4hi, the truck starts making really loud humming noises, the faster i go, the louder it gets..

5-how will i know if my transfer case is going out?

possible causes? i went through a creek crossing a few weeks back....that's the only real thing i can remember that may have something to do with it....could it be possible that water got into the front differential? I am really kinda clueless as to what it could be and am taking it into the shop tommorrow to have them find it, but i want some feedback from y'all to see how deep a hole i will be in after fixing this problem...also, will 2002-2003 drivelines fit in my 2000 truck? if so, i might be better off finding a low mileage z71 from a junkyard newer model and just buy the driveline parts...anyway, help a brother out..

nitin

Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: please help me diagnose my trucks problems....

Me thinks your parking brakes have dropped and are sticking. I could be a possible cause. The retainers on them are not the right size. Unless you had the TSB done to put the bigger clip in, this can happen. Mine dropped and I had to replace both of them.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: please help me diagnose my trucks problems....

How deep were the creeks you crossed and how long did your truck sit without driving after going through them? Last year I drove through some pretty deep water and my truck sat for almost a week. I didn't get any growling/humming noises but I did get a squeek. This was from my u-joints rusting up. How many miles are on your truck? You might have sucked some water into your frt diff. which could be the cause of your 4x4 noise. Hope it isn/t too serious, good luck.