Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which plug for Radix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
You are always one step behind.... I installed a set of TR6IX plugs last night. I pulled out a 12K mile set of plain TR6s. Can't give a good answer why I chose the IX plugs besides the possibility of longer life and the strength of iridium.
A few questions:

How are the IX's running? Is there a difference between the regular TR6's and the IX's as far as idle, etc? What were the regular TR6's gapped at?

Thx.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:45 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I think both are supposed to be gapped at .035 out of the box. I know my TR6s were off a little. I didnt mess with the IX plug gaps.

I can't say much on the idle quality between the two plugs. I changed too many variables last night, including the tune, to make it a fair comparison. I have no problems with the IX plugs, I can say that much.

Do you have an idle problem? What are you doing for tuning?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I think both are supposed to be gapped at .035 out of the box. I know my TR6s were off a little. I didnt mess with the IX plug gaps.

I can't say much on the idle quality between the two plugs. I changed too many variables last night, including the tune, to make it a fair comparison. I have no problems with the IX plugs, I can say that much.

You talking to grippy or me?

If you're talking to me, I don't have an idle problem, but I think the gripman does. I have the stock plugs in right now, the originals. I think the TR6's come gapped at .45 or .60, don't remember which, but if you want to run them at .35 you have to re-gap them. The IX's come in at .35 and from what I hear you don't want to mess with them as far as gapping.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

It was a direct response to your previous direct question to me. And you say I'm the politician.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry, just didn't want to be hijacking the thread if you were talking to moregrip.

And we both know that you ARE the politician....you are the man!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:21 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Whatever, you just avoided the questions again. sheesh.... I'll ask again:

Old 02-25-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry, too much Ben and Jerry's....Everything But The....I'm on the verge of a sugar coma...

No idle problems (actually already answered that one), and I still have the stock/canned Radix Superchips tune. I have HPTuners and Dynojet's Wideband Commander, but haven't hooked up the wideband yet. Need to get the bung welded up and then I'll be ready to start logging good data - including A/F stuff.

I am pretty overwhelmed as to where to start with tuning. I'm not a gearhead by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm having to learn two new domains - engine mechanics/dynamics, and the tuning tool. I fell overwhelmed, and it doesn't seem like there are any guides out there to help me learn.

Did I answer this time?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:39 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Thats was a fine answer.

With tuning, just take it one thing at a time. Your truck runs fine now, download that tune and use it as your starting point. Then take little steps and modify one item at a time. Say add a couple of degrees timing to your high and low octane tables and load it up. Don't let it scare you, just start slow and it will all work out.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Okay, thanks for the input, and the and vote of confidence. I guess I do have to jump in there somewhere, don't I? I just wish there were a 'Beginner's Guide to Tuning' or something like that out there that I could use to bone up a little bit. In any case, it's time to get the hardware hooked up and then I can start tweaking, just like you suggested.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:58 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You are always one step behind.... I installed a set of TR6IX plugs last night. I pulled out a 12K mile set of plain TR6s. Can't give a good answer why I chose the IX plugs besides the possibility of longer life and the strength of iridium.
It would seem so

for the record, I don't have an idle problem. it is a cold cranking problem, somehow I must be lucky

Quick Reply: Which plug for Radix?