Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Poor Mobil One?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allstar55566
id say oil is prob the most important element to ur motors long term success. not something to take lightly and if one oil makes for a more effortless operation while maintaining the necessary properties to protect ur engine i would think thats damn important.
X1

I'd just like the engine to get the best lubrication possible;so that makes the topic interesting. If I knew,for sure,that another syn oil was better than M1,I might switch. I've been using M1 for over 20 years and have noticed they reformulate it every so often. I wonder if that only means they've found a way of making it cheaper.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shandy294
X1

I'd just like the engine to get the best lubrication possible;so that makes the topic interesting. If I knew,for sure,that another syn oil was better than M1,I might switch. I've been using M1 for over 20 years and have noticed they reformulate it every so often. I wonder if that only means they've found a way of making it cheaper.
Go to http://bobistheoilguy.com and read till your eyes hurt.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!!! haha...
I use Mobile 1, before M1 my trucks oil was changed by the dealership with original Oil. I dont know if M1 is the best, I know its one of the best KNOWN. It was on special when I went to Syn oil so i bought it. Is that Bad? Is expensive oil really better than cheaper oil? Which brings me to why i bought Mobile 1, it was on sale! =) All i know, is that syn oil protects better than conventional.

AH!! i just got smacked by the Dipstick dude!!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah,I've been to Bob's and I also bought a 5-qt of M1(on sale at wally's)not long ago. I'll be using it for at least the near future. Have a good weekend.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple or Amsoil is supposedly better
Old 08-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

I use to run M1 up till last year when it was scarce around here so I started using Valvoline full sythetic. I can't tell the differnce in them and I found the Valvoline is a bit cheaper than the M1.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coban
Always been a firm "DOESN'T MATTER what oil you use as long as you don't run it dry" guy. Cause it doesn't

No one here can tell the difference.
I haven't done extensive research on the matter, but in general I've come to a similar conclusion. I think that certain oils have the ability to provide long term protection for up to 15,000 miles per oil change. With that said, I think very few people feel comfortable doing that simply out of habit.

I think that a good bit of it can be in people's heads. It's kind of like, your truck always seems to run better when it's clean, or you felt a difference when you installed your first air intake.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but I think for the most part, if your oil is changed at 3000 mile intervals, there is very little difference.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

i disagree.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if changed every 3000 mile, i dont see how one could be cleaner than another. but i do see a premium having less friction and therefore more power is made
Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shandy294
Yeah,I've been to Bob's and I also bought a 5-qt of M1(on sale at wally's)not long ago. I'll be using it for at least the near future. Have a good weekend.
So you run your truck a quart low???

I'm of the "any oil is good enough" category too, as long as it's changed regularly. When I worked in NASCAR, I worked for a race team that was sponsored by Citgo, so we got there oil for free. We ran the SAME 20w/50 oil you can go into a Citgo gas station and buy off the self for a couple bucks in our 750hp, 9000rpm turning, 358 sb (Dodge ) motors. We also supplied our engine builder Joey Arington (look him up, he builds most of the factory backed Dodge NASCAR teams motors) with the oil he does all his dynoing with. Must be good enough for them...

Quick Reply: Poor Mobil One?